8mm camera MONO mixing , raising the noise floor really high

walters

8mm camera MONO mixing , raising the noise floor really high

Whats the difference between tape flanger mixdown in stereo VS mono what does it do different and why please?

Because most of the videos down in the 70's had tape flanging but they had to take the stereo mix and converted to a 8mm camera recorder which was in MONO

When i watch the videos the tape flangering mixed in mono sounds more COMPRESSED and just liquid why is that? that mono has more ""compression"" than stereo mix?

The 8mm mono video mix makes the tape flanger sound thicker and like its double tracked the whole mix or something

If i take my stereo mix what can i use to convert it to make it sound like a 8mm camera recorder in MONO mix?

Most engineers tell me to use a "multiband Optical compressor" because the 8mm camera recorder was optical

But in theory what happens or the difference between a stereo tape flangers VS a mono Tape flanger? doesn't the zero crossing changing or something?

To me the difference is MONO is more compressed squeezed than stereo mix right ??

-----------------------
Subject#2

I want to run my mix through a compressor or limiter or something that really really raises the noise floor really high what can i use please?

What i want to do is run my guitar through a phaser unit with the DEPTH knob turned all the way down so the guitar is just running through the circuit of the phaser with NO LFO and then raising up the noise floor really high so it make the phaser circuit (depth turned to zero) more louder it gives a more thicker fatter sound

What can i use to raise the noise floor up ?

"Most engineers tell me to use a "multiband Optical compressor" because the 8mm camera recorder was optical"

HA-HA

walters said:
What can i use to raise the noise floor up ?
Replace the 12AX7 tubes in the guitar amplifier with some used Russian versions of the Intel 80486 circuit chip. If you phaser has a seperate power supply (like a wall wart or something), replace it with a 24V power supply, then run the output from the 80486 into the *output* of the phaser and send the input of the phase out to an unbalanced tape deck. Play back that tape at 70% speed directly into some Owens Corning fiberboard insulation and mic the back of that insulation with a Turner +2 base station microphone.

G.

"Most engineers tell me to use a "multiband Optical compressor" because the 8mm camera recorder was optical"

Well what would u do then????

With the phasers depth (all the way down) but the phaser is ON how can i make this louder so u can hear the phaser circuit?

Would raising the noise floor make the phaser circuit up to line level?

What im thinking about doing is ""attenuating the input signal" going to the phaser circuit (with depth all the way down at zero) then really boosting the signal on the output of the phaser

but still when u turn down the depth control all the way down on the phaser or flanger or chorus and just run your audio through the processing circuit it changes the timbre/tone adds colour im just using the effects boxes as colourfilters (depth at zero) so its very very subtle

The colorfilter is near the noisefloor its not that loud to really hear the colorfilter so i need to raise it and give it more headroom

If i raise the noisefloor up it will bring up the colorfilter sound up louder?

So when i run my audio through a phaser,flanger,chorus with depths at zero you can hear the color/timbre/tonal difference more it would sound like its double tracked in a way but its thicker

**What im trying to do is when i set the depths at zero on the phaser,flanger,chorus and just run audio through them is to make THAT sound that is very very very subtle UP to LINE LEVEL how can i do this please??

WET SINGALS (with depth at zero no LFO ,not manual CV LFO )
I need to make the WET signal ( at depth at zero) up to line level

But i don't know if Line level sound bring or raise up that subtle wet signal im talking about. I think it has to be brought up and raise up from the noise floor because what im talking about it the actual phaser circuit of the timbre/tone/color of the circuit itself

Kiwi help me

walters said:
**What im trying to do is when i set the depths at zero on the phaser,flanger,chorus and just run audio through them is to make THAT sound that is very very very subtle UP to LINE LEVEL how can i do this please??
With the phasers depth all the way down but the phaser ON, you can make it louder so u can hear the phaser circuit. Raising the noise floor makes the phaser circuit up to line level.

Think about maybe "attenuating the input signal" going to the phaser circuit (with depth all the way down at zero) then really boosting the signal on the output of the phaser. That might work. But still when u turn down the depth control all the way down on the phaser or flanger or chorus and just run your audio through the processing circuit it changes the timbre/tone adds colour. It's like your just using the effects boxes as colourfilters (depth at zero) so its very very subtle.

The colorfilter is near the noisefloor its not that loud to really hear the colorfilter so u need to raise it and give it more headroom. If u raise the noisefloor up it will bring up the colorfilter sound up louder!

So when u run your audio through a phaser,flanger,chorus with depths at zero you can hear the color/timbre/tonal difference more it would sound like its double tracked in a way but its thicker.

Get it? It's simple, really.

G.

Raise the volume of the WET signal thats NOT modulating or sweeping or at a static point no LFO but the signal is going to be WET

WET signals
1.) Modulated or sweeping wet signals ( with LFO)
2.) Static wet signals (static delay wet signal) "manual CV LFO"
3.) Neither not static or modualated then what is it???
4.) colour wet signal ( a colorfilter circuit)

When you turn the depth control all the way down its not STATIC delay /wet or its not sweeping then what is it??

Its a colourfilter the BBD chip and phase shift networks are used as a colourfilter

When u put audio though a normal bandpass,lowpass,highpass is the output a WET signal or DRY signal??

When the EQ is set at FLAT is the output a WET signal or DRY signal?

What is it called when the EQ is set a FLAT? is the signals WET or DRY? what kind of circuit is it when the EQ is set at FLAT its stuck at neutral state?

The EQ circuit is not boosting or cutting so what is the EQ circuit then when its set at FLAT?

walters said:

What is it called when the EQ is set a FLAT? is the signals WET or DRY? what kind of circuit is it when the EQ is set at FLAT its stuck at neutral state?

The EQ circuit is not boosting or cutting so what is the EQ circuit then when its set at FLAT?
If it sounds different, it's wet. If it doesn't, than it doesn't matter.

G.

So when a compressor colours the audio sound or a preamp colours the audio sound its a WET signal?

But what type of WET signal is it ?

If the compressor is set the FLAT and the preamp is set to FLAT but both colour the sound what kind/type of WET signal is this?

If the input signal and ouput signal is not transparent and is coloured
what is this colour mean?

The colour signal can be
1.) frequency domain based colour
2.) Time domain based colour
3.) THD distortion based colour
4.) what other types of colour is there?

WET signals
1.) Modulated or sweeped
2.) fixed static wet signals
3.) what other types of wet signals is there?

What other kinds/types of wet signals are there please?

walters said:
So when a compressor colours the audio sound or a preamp colours the audio sound its a WET signal?
If it sounds different, it's wet. If it doesn't, then it doesn't matter.

G.

1. yes
2. baller
3. baller
4. baller
5. baller-ass
6. pimp-ass
7. all your wet signal are belong to us

walters said:
If the compressor is set the FLAT and the preamp is set to FLAT but both colour the sound what kind/type of WET signal is this?

It's like dry ice and women. Something that just isn't understood by modern science.

SouthSIDE Glen said:
Replace the 12AX7 tubes in the guitar amplifier with some used Russian versions of the Intel 80486 circuit chip. If you phaser has a seperate power supply (like a wall wart or something), replace it with a 24V power supply, then run the output from the 80486 into the *output* of the phaser and send the input of the phase out to an unbalanced tape deck. Play back that tape at 70% speed directly into some Owens Corning fiberboard insulation and mic the back of that insulation with a Turner +2 base station microphone.

G.

Oh, duh, that makes sense. I'll remember that next time I go to just turn down the depth knob.

Back