5 mixing mistakes that I used to make… and how to avoid them

Sensible advice.

At the high end I work at the speaker volume where the frequency response I'm hearing first sounds full. That's enough to hear properly but below the level where the middle-ear starts compressing. That's important because it's impossible to set compression accurately when your ears are already compressing. Also the muscles in your middle ear don't fatigue so quickly.

At the low end I work where the loudest sounds are just emerging so I can hear which tracks have the most energy and which ones are getting lost.

The two that stick out to me and mean the most are:
1) not listening to reference material...I am really bad at this...so much that I have never done it. I know I SHOULD to get a clear picture of what it should sound like or at least in the ball park.

2) Adding a compressor to mix bus after the fact...I have done this and was like "whoa" this sucks. I have made it a habit to add before starting tracking. Most of the time I end up adjusting the settings, but for the most part it works better than trying to slap it on right before mixdown.

Back