16-Bit Project > 24-Bit Master Project...(bounce degredation?)

mark4man

MoonMix Studios
Crew...

Is there anything wrong with bouncing 16-Bit comps or sets to a 24-Bit file; & then opening them in a new 24-Bit project for mastering? (in much the same way that one would bounce to stems to take to a mastering session)?

I know digital is all about numbers; & there shouldn't be any degradation in sound quality concerning transfers...but someone told me once it's better to bounce directly from the original 16-Bit project (to a 24-Bit stereo .wav); & even tho my instincts tell me different, well...I'm paranoid.

Anyway, here's what's happening: 8 out of 9 songs on my first CD were recorded & mixed as 16-Bit projects. In those projects, I've applied numerous UAD-1 plug-ins to tracks & sub-busses. I intend on upgrading to a new, fast, powerful workstation once the CD is released...but right now, after about a dozen & a half plug-ins applied within a 25 - 40 track project, I bog down & drop out.

To stay in the original project & keep working, I obviously have to bounce comps & sets to new tracks & archive the source tracks.

I'd like to instead bounce them to 24-Bit .wav file stems & open them all in a 24-Bit master project for a few last minute tweaks before bouncing off to my final stereo .wav for the CD. In this way, I can take advantage of the full ambience added by the plug-ins; & also accommodate the extra resolution added to the signal due to the DSP.

But in bouncing from 16-Bit to 24-Bit, I have no way of performing a null test to make sure they sound the same.

Am I being nuts here? Should I be worried, or is there some validity to staying in the original project (& if there is...I'm not seeing it.)

Thanks,

mark4man

Dell Dimension 8250 / Windows XP
Intel 850E Motherboard/Chipset
Intel P4 2.53GHz CPU (512 KB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
1024 MB PC1066 RDRAM
Ultra 60GB Primary HD / Single Volume (OS, Apps, Files/Folders.)
Maxtor DiamondMax 9+ 80GB Secondary HD / Single Volume (Audio Data only)
nVidia 64MB GEFORCE4 MX420 AGP
Echo Audio Layla 24/96 PCI Audio Interface
Universal Audio UAD-1 DSP Powered Plug-In System
KRK Rockit RP-8 Studio Reference Monitors
SONAR XL 2.2
SONAR4
WaveLab 5

I will add a bunch of 0s to the 8 lowest bits. No biggie, and your file won't sound a lick different.

Have at it and have fun.

Ford Van...

Thanks.

BTW - I remembered...the concern on the part of the person advising me was that the cumulative affect of successive DSP summing would erode the signal quality.

Nothing to that, at all ?

Thanks,

mark4man

Back