1 kick, 1 snare, a decade of rock hits

Years ago members on this site laughed when I told them I often add chorus to my bass. Most of those members aren't around anymore. So yeah, fuck them. :p

watched it again for fun. i always laugh at the part where he goes..

listen to this, listen to that, listen here, listen to this, look over there, listen over here, look at me, look at you, listen to me, now look here, now look over there....

hah. great video though. i'm actually looking into samples recently. i'll see what i can come up with, but gating superior drummer snares is gonna be a pain

hah. great video though. i'm actually looking into samples recently. i'll see what i can come up with, but gating superior drummer snares is gonna be a pain

If you do a dump of SD's individual parts (I forget the exact function within SD that allows this, basically a mixdown), you can then gate those tracks separately. I don't do this anymore but used to. I have the drum mix pretty well dialed in using just the controls from within SD, usually it only needs some level adjustments based on the individual song's needs.

I don't mind the drum mix being demonstrated here (I even own/enjoy a few of these recordings). But the effort it takes to fine tune seems lost on the tracks I produce for myself and others. I don't feel my mixes sound any better/worse than these example, just different.

---------- Update ----------

i do it. flanger actually. just a touch.

Yes, this is the key - use it sparingly. It just brings body to the bass track, helping it to fill in the middle of the sound stage instead of sitting there like a brick. I've also had good results with panning and chorusing of synth bass parts, letting them sit less traditionally where say the guitars normally would. Guess the point is - do what sounds good and supports the vision for the song. Rules are indeed meant to be broken. I've stumbled on a lot of non traditional mixing tricks that I ended up finding others using later on as well (this is the first time I've heard of another engineer using chorus in the same manner I have been, for example).

I laughed when dave grohl's backup vocal was soloed, who would've thought he'd go on to be a great lead vocalist himself?

I didn't think it sounded bad, for a drummer. And I think it was a harmony(?).

It did sound kinda funny - to be fair, it's a REALLY high melody. The lead vocal is high as it is (Kurt was a high tenor) and then the harmony is a bit higher.

Back