1 Headphones and 2 devices

Tamate

I would like to use same headphones for external audiocard and pc audiocard.
Should I get a small mixer? Which one, in your opinion?
How much that mixer, all flat settings, would change the quality of sound (than the direct input)?

Any experiences?

thx

^^ This

What audio interface are you using? Go to your OS audio settings and choose your interface as the main sound output.

I don't turn on my Tascam unless I'm recording/mixing (don't know if it will last longer that way! :rolleyes: ) But I have it on the same switch as my lava lamp - my wife knows that if the lamp is on, I'm working!
Simple solution, unplug the headphones from the Tascam, plug them into the computer ... it's not like I'm doing it very often.

I ran out of reasons to use my computers sound card... I just selected my scarlett 2i2 audio interface as my computers sound card and use it all the time. I do have a mixer but could run my headphones from the scarlett 2i2 if needed... I have to leave my mixer on all the time this way but I hear that turning electronics off and on is what wears on them... dont know... the headphones plugged into the mixer will hear anything in this configuration and have its own volume control.

Mixsetup2small.jpg

Just use the AI for all sound work. Not only that but turn the OnBoardSoundcard off in Device Manager and don't forget to kill Windows sounds, those irritating (and loud!) bleeps and bloops.

Then there is the urban, electronic myths.
Electronic gear does not "wear out" (you might get the odd noisy pot but that will be down to a cheap component or/and bad circuit design) I have been infecting music forums now for at least 5 years and in that time I reckon I have heard of fewer than ten genuine instances of a soundcard or AI failure.

Your interface is FAR more likely to be rendered useless because Apple or Msoft change the OS and the lazy, money grabbing b'std AI builders won't write new drivers for their kit.

On/off cycles: As Mr Adams said of Planet Earth. "Mostly Harmless". Time was, valves were apt to blow at switch on because filament technology was in its early days. Valves have been virtually blowup proof for 70years (i.e. a bit before I arrived on the scene!).

Solid state rectified electronics WAS a bit vulnerable but really only the cheap stuff like tellies. My two computers get banged off at the mains about twice a month because 'Er indoors is "Ready!" (the fact that I have been so for an hour and just retreated to my "studio" and chat to yous guys means nothing!) .

But W7 just does not give a ***t and Chrome on the P4 just asks if I want to Restore. Generally I do and all is tikkerty!

Dave.

^^^^

This.

I just make my external device the default sound card and run everything through that.

If there's a reason you don't want to work that way then there's no reason (other than the purchase price) not to run through a mixer. You'll be going at line level from the external interface so even a cheap mixer shouldn't colour the sound to any appreciable amount. You WILL have to be careful on levels since, chances are, the output of your internal sound card will be for headphones and be adjusted in hardware or software on your computer.

Back