VoiceOver FX

way95

I'm just getting started on an audiobook project. Here is a short test I recorded and I'd like to have an unbiased ear add the final EQ, compression, etc just to get anothers' perspective. I know it's simple stuff, but I'm still getting started and haven't developed the ear for a good voiceover. I'd like it to be rich and warm, not quite as punchy as a radio voice though.

Audiobook Test

Thanks,
Wayne

This thread probably belongs in the mp3 mixing clinic; you may want to ask a mod to move it.

The file sounds pretty clear. There were a few lip smacking noises throughout, which you may want to check for. But the noise floor is low and the voice is clear and enunciated throughout
It sounds like a messy edit on "but Pavel" at 1:04? And again at 1:10 ("for Pavel"). And most of the instances of his name throughout. Do you have an automated pop filtering FX? Or did you originally record it with a different name and splice in the new one or something?

Also, Mediafire there definitely tried to install a virus when I clicked the download link. You can embed mp3s directly into the forums if you don't have a decent (i.e. paid) server to host your files on.

it's a good clear voice, when he says 'the chill reached' the word chill is a bit too loud and also agree with vomithatsteve at 1:10 'for pavel' sounds a little bit distracting, overall tough it's very good, please don't tell me you are going to add EQ compression and loads of fx to this, because it will destroy it.

View attachment 90052 I put it through my rupert neve designs 511 mic preamp and added some silk then used the RND portico EQ plug-in to slightly roll off some of the extreme highs which is where the harshness was, then normalised to -23LUFS, and also edited the problem words I mentioned. Let me know what you think.

Thanks! It has a more smooth, pro sound! I'm learning that my voice over doesn't need as much fx as I originally thought. My mic is a lewitt ltc540 and it is very fat, warm sound to begin with so it doesn't even require much eq.

Back