Mix a rock song with blues theme...?

Great little tune. Here is what I hear. Rhythm guitar to loud, there should be more ducking with the vocals (they sound great by the way, wouldn't touch them), lead guitar seems buried. Work on that (or ignore, that might be what you want). Vocals have a Kurt Cobain sound. Not an imitation.

I personally wouldn't mix this as you really are pretty close to a great mix. I am not sure what could be done differently to improve what I heard. It is a straight forward rock song and those are for me hard to do anything creative.

Cool tune.

OK, I played. Good song. Weird working with one overhead. Never done that. The vocal reminds me of one of my favorite singers ever. Local guy Tony Medina. Look him up.

A rough mix.

Attachments

• Mix 1.mp3
    6.7 MB · Views: 167
  • Mix 2.mp3
    6.7 MB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Nice job Jimmy,

Sounds great, I'm not even gonna try, Your mix is great.

Good song, well done.

First mix was drum heavy. Listened in my favorite place (my work van). Vocals and guitars were buried. I can't really do much with the guitar tone as it is. There is a flangey part that I would have not used so much, but it seems to work with the tune.

I had some time to kill and could not get this song out of my head. I realized what the vocals were about. Got lost in the song...

Hey seeking! I'm poking you in the ribs! lol!

Attachments

• Mix 3.mp3
    6.7 MB · Views: 82
I think now listening back, I may have squashed it a bit much.. I'm used to mixing my own recorded tracks. This was fun tho.

Send me more tracks seeking! :)

Last edited:
Last post of last mix I will ever do with this tune. Great song. It inspired me to spend time working on it.

Here it is:

Attachments

• Mix 4.mp3
    6.7 MB · Views: 116
Had a little free time and figured I'd give this one a go. Still a work in progress but feedback is always appreciated.

Attachments

• Everyday.mp3
    5 MB · Views: 76
@ seeking, your voice sounds quite like like a buddy of mine. Mixed some rough tracks he recorded at home. I would like to hear you do some harmonies on your tunes. Look forward to hearing more.

Tony Medina:

Attachments

• Tony Medina-Divide Overflow Megahowardjimmymix.mp3
    7.9 MB · Views: 23
@ seeking, your voice sounds quite like like a buddy of mine. Mixed some rough tracks he recorded at home. I would like to hear you do some harmonies on your tunes. Look forward to hearing more.

Tony Medina:

Hi.

Do you meen guitars or voice harmonies........?

Had a little free time and figured I'd give this one a go. Still a work in progress but feedback is always appreciated.

Hi.

Thanks for giving it a try. It is a bit heavy on the bottom some places and at some places it seem to be some kind of low end(bass) cancelations...it just dissepear...... in a 2.1 office system that is.....

-einar-

Tony Medina:

Hi.
Cool song. But, is it my or your ears that are blown...? on my 2.1 office system it sounds way to "sharp"?........

-einar-

Like I said, it is a mix of rough tracks that he recorded at home. I was just commenting on a similarity to a friend that sounded similar. No, my ears are not blown and you are coming across as a bit of a dick. lol! Many of your notes were flat actually. I didn't pull out the Melodyne because I thought it was a fun song and just wanted to have fun with you. The lyrics were meant to be fun right? Anyway, I like what you did and hope to mess around with more.

By the way, take my words lightly. I kid a bunch around here.

:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I agree. Just to be clear when you say heavy in the bottom do you mean the bass guitar, kick, or both?

There are also issues with the chunk (for lack of a better word) guitars as well. The mix is completely static and would also benefit from automation.

What drum samples/program did you use? The drum source tracks sound a bit cheesy.

Thanks for posting the song. When I get some more time I'll go back and fix the issues.

Yeah I agree. Just to be clear when you say heavy in the bottom do you mean the bass guitar, kick, or both?

There are also issues with the chunk (for lack of a better word) guitars as well. The mix is completely static and would also benefit from automation.

What drum samples/program did you use? The drum source tracks sound a bit cheesy.

Thanks for posting the song. When I get some more time I'll go back and fix the issues.

I agree with your points. :)

Hi.
Cool song. But, is it my or your ears that are blown...? on my 2.1 office system it sounds way to "sharp"?........

-einar-

Like I said, it is a mix of rough tracks that he recorded at home. I was just commenting on a similarity to a friend that sounded similar. No, my ears are not blown and you are coming across as a bit of a dick. lol! Many of your notes were flat actually. I didn't pull out the Melodyne because I thought it was a fun song and just wanted to have fun with you. The lyrics were meant to be fun right? Anyway, I like what you did and hope to mess around with more.

By the way, take my words lightly. I kid a bunch around here.

:D

Hi.

I think the 2.1 offiice system is lying to me. I will burn your version and take a listen in my car....(best place)

-einar-
Ps: not effended.....lol
ps II: I was waiting for a comment on the lyrics...made it in a hurry. All out of love/hope/justice/etc,etc....themes.

Back