Mix this please! (unwanted noise)

So, did you turn off the bass amp effect (The amp sim is an effect as well)?

Also, is this a MIDI VST sound or live analog wave running through an Amp sim?

The bass amp is to simulate a more acoustic sound I guess, it's a 12 string guitar sim preset and I'm playing an electric guitar.

It's a MIDI VST sound

The bass amp is to simulate a more acoustic sound I guess, it's a 12 string guitar sim preset and I'm playing an electric guitar.

It's a MIDI VST sound

OK, turn that off and just listen to the wave, do you get the Shh sound? If you do, then there is a source problem. If you don't then the Amp sim is making the sound. You can correct that several different ways, but the easiest it to put a noise gate at the end of the amp and set the threshold just above the shh sound. You should be able to turn on record and monitor live and hear the shh sound without any wave playing.

Either way, if you don't hear it with the wave file playing and no effect turned on, then your sim is "simulating" that amps output. Noise gate it at the threshold level that removes the shh noise (just above the sound should work), but not the guitar sound.

Try it see how it works.

OK, turn that off and just listen to the wave, do you get the Shh sound? If you do, then there is a source problem. If you don't then the Amp sim is making the sound. You can correct that several different ways, but the easiest it to put a noise gate at the end of the amp and set the threshold just above the shh sound. You should be able to turn on record and monitor live and hear the shh sound without any wave playing.

Either way, if you don't hear it with the wave file playing and no effect turned on, then your sim is "simulating" that amps output. Noise gate it at the threshold level that removes the shh noise (just above the sound should work), but not the guitar sound.

Try it see how it works.

Turning it off didn't help. I think the noise appears because the volume of the preset is too loud, the problem is that when I turn it down I can't hear much. How do you turn it up without the noise?

Turning it off didn't help. I think the noise appears because the volume of the preset is too loud, the problem is that when I turn it down I can't hear much. How do you turn it up without the noise?

Look up for effects a noise gate filter, set the filter just above the threshold of the offending noise. As you increase the volume, you will have to increase the threshold.

Did you play the file without any effects (as stated, the amp sim is an effect). So turn off everything (or pull it out) and listen to the playing. If it is there, then it is at the source.

You could load up the original played file (guitar without any amp simulation) let's have a listen. (No drums, nothing, no Amp sim, just the source file. See what we have.

I hope you understand what I am saying, remove the Amp simulator from the track. The upload or share the file.

I checked again and it was the amp like you said. But when I turn it off it doesn't sound good. There's no more noise but the sound isn't right for the song

Last edited:
SR7 the link to your clean file is the same as the hissy one..... sorry to be a pain, I thought I was going crazy but they are the same file....

I checked again and it was the amp like you said. But when I turn it off it doesn't sound good. There's no more noise but the sound isn't right for the song

Right, we are just troubleshooting the issue. So we now know or at least you have confirmed, the signal coming in doesn't have an issue. Now you can turn on your amp and start playing with ways to remove the shh sound. Get the sound you want by playing with the settings, once you get them, use a noise gate filter, as stated before to see if you can remove the low end noise but maintain the guitar level.

SR7 the link to your clean file is the same as the hissy one..... sorry to be a pain, I thought I was going crazy but they are the same file....

I'm sorry but that's the same link. I put it in my signature because I couldn't put links until I posted 10 times and I forgot to turn the signature off when I posted that

Right, we are just troubleshooting the issue. So we now know or at least you have confirmed, the signal coming in doesn't have an issue. Now you can turn on your amp and start playing with ways to remove the shh sound. Get the sound you want by playing with the settings, once you get them, use a noise gate filter, as stated before to see if you can remove the low end noise but maintain the guitar level.

I tried Z-Noise and it does do the job but it sounds way less bright

I'm sorry but that's the same link. I put it in my signature because I couldn't put links until I posted 10 times and I forgot to turn the signature off when I posted that

I tried Z-Noise and it does do the job but it sounds way less bright

OK, now what you need to do is get close to the sound you want, but don't worry so much about the final sound until you are in the total mix (guitars, drums, synthesizers) as it may not matter in the "total mix". You could possibly improve that by using some EQ. But wait until you have more of the total mix recorded and defined. That is why as a general rule you don't EQ to a solo/single sound as it is more important how it fits the mix verses just how it sounds.

Go ahead, do some recording, get a mix, then put it up in the MP3 clinic and work from there. Main point is, you have removed a negative sound from the source verse trying to remove it afterwards. It is easier to EQ than to remove noises.

OK, now what you need to do is get close to the sound you want, but don't worry so much about the final sound until you are in the total mix (guitars, drums, synthesizers) as it may not matter in the "total mix". You could possibly improve that by using some EQ. But wait until you have more of the total mix recorded and defined. That is why as a general rule you don't EQ to a solo/single sound as it is more important how it fits the mix verses just how it sounds.

Go ahead, do some recording, get a mix, then put it up in the MP3 clinic and work from there. Main point is, you have removed a negative sound from the source verse trying to remove it afterwards. It is easier to EQ than to remove noises.

Sucks that it's a cover of a instrumental acoustic song. This is the original:

I'm planning on buying an electro-acoustic guitar, I guess I will re-record it when I get it. Thanks for all the help

Sucks that it's a cover of a instrumental acoustic song. This is the original:

I'm planning on buying an electro-acoustic guitar, I guess I will re-record it when I get it. Thanks for all the help

Don't let the video fool you. I bet there is more going on there than a dude playing with two mics. Not sure about the electric acoustic, but mic it, play it, let's go from there.

I do agree with the mic placement.

Don't let the video fool you. I bet there is more going on there than a dude playing with two mics. Not sure about the electric acoustic, but mic it, play it, let's go from there.

I do agree with the mic placement.

Do I need to buy a mic? I was thinking on just plugging it directly to Cubase and recording, wouldn't that kinda give me the same sound it has unplugged?

Do I need to buy a mic? I was thinking on just plugging it directly to Cubase and recording, wouldn't that kinda give me the same sound it has unplugged?

I think a mic is better for acoustic. Now me, I am an electronic guy, love synthesizers, etc. But for the acoustic, I only mic it. Pickups are not the same as recording with mics. Start with the mics. Worry about the other stuff later. Work with what you have and build from there.

Back