Mix this!!! 13 tracks

yeah

Hey guys, Alternative/Pop/Rock song.
I've got a mix on it at the moment but I reckon better can be done and it would also be cool to hear what someone else does with it, change my perspective or give me some ideas or something. So yeah, here's my mix:

And here are the track outs/stems:
Part 1: mediafire.com/download/3h17jivacnnki6o/Waiting_For_Superman_1.rar
Part 2: mediafire.com/download/dt8wr8z7abpkcpq/Waiting_For_Superman_2.rar

Thanks very much

Attachments

• waitng for superman.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Here's my try on this song. It was quite difficult task, and I'm not that happy with my mix. But song is good. That's why I tried it in the first place.

I left big dynamic range, so you have to use the volume knob if you listen it.

Attachments

• superman-mix-olli-h.mp3
    8.4 MB · Views: 103
I love what you did with the track....except for the excessive reverb on.....EVERYTHING, but your take with the distortion on the vocals, very cool!

I'd agree with the reverb comment kinda. More so, the simblance on all is almost painful. Not just the vocals, but the cymbals are killing my ears to the point that it is hard to listen to any of it. The OP's mix had issues with esses as well.

If yeah came back, I might be interested in giving it a mix from my perspective. No fun if the OP not playing along...

I know I realized it a few hours after I uploaded it...
The rythm is too fast for the amount of reverb so I think I'll subtract it a bit or it's just a colliding mud, and then notch out the overall treble a little bit (that should also help a little bit with the hihats/cymbals).
However I don't feel any problem with the S-sounds. I've already used a lot of de-essing on the vocals, and I know a lot of commercially released tracks with even more S-sounds.
Lastly I might subtract the input gain on the distortion plugins a little bit as well, it sounds a little too aggressive at some parts where you feel you need to rest your ears, like in the verses and the break before the last chorus.

This is actually my first attempt on mixing another group's song.

Thanks for all the replies guys! Some solid mixes, a lot to think about, great job everyone. Thanks very much.
steffeeH, your mix almost makes it sound like a different song! I really like the ending and intro, the riffin' bass and heavy drums, vocal effects, the breakdown, it's all really cool. Really nice spin you've put on the song!

Just saw the second page of comments haha, I'm here now! My email notifications stopped coming through and I've been kinda busy recently, but I'm back!

Thank you yeah!

As I said before I was going to change some things that I felt more and more was bad as the time went on, so here's a corrected version.

View attachment Waiting For Superman - New.mp3

A tip on the recording side: When you've recorded a stereo guitar or overdubbed guitars to make it stereo spreaded (or something similar) always check it in mono, because the main guitar in the song had some phase/polarity issues when you summed it to mono - it drops in volume. If you play both mine and your original track in mono you'll notice that the guitar drops in volume a bit, making the tracks a little unbalanced.

Otherwise I gotta say that you've written a great track and I thank you for this opportunity!

Definitely an improvement on your first mix. Could you tell me what plugins you're using for your distortion or for any of the other effects you've got going on?

About the guitars: I've definitely noticed this but I've always just assumed it to be just something that happens with hard left/right panned things and them being able to just take up most of the space down the sides where there isn't much else going on. The "acoustics and uke" track does the same. When we recorded we just recorded the exact same part twice and panned hard left and right and ran it through the same effects/processors on different tracks.

This is my most recent mix of the song View attachment waiting for supermin diff guit.mp3

Also the song was written by the guitarist/vocalist (except bass and synth parts). I only did the bass, recording, mixing and synths. Although the guitar was guitar rig (or maybe a pro tools guitar plugin) and the drums midi and I chose all the sounds for them (I could send the midi and raw guitar tracks if you'd like?), which isn't really mixing or recording. Thanks for the nice words, I'll definitely pass them along as well as your mix!

Hmm, maybe you could try with different guitars running through different amplifiers when overdubbing (if you're able to). Further on, you could try make a small delay of a few milliseconds on one guitar, or switch the polarity on one, and then sum it to mono and see if it works better.

I assumed that too when I first discovered it, because I summed the guitars to mono on their own first. But then I summed the whole track to mono and felt that the guitars suddenly disappeared a little.

I just used pretty basic saturation on all the sounds, except the vocals where I used real distortion, using 2 version of the vocals, one for the verses, and one for the choruses + stick.
Something that's not that hearable on its own in the track but helps the vocals is that I duplicated the vocal track and autotuned it (don't get frightened), used a stereo-delay plugin with a little slower delay to prevent any phase issues, and then the same flanging effect as in the break but with much less volume, and then I blended it in a bit with the original vocals making it wider (without making it sound autotuned of course).
On the guitars I used multiband saturation to create more treble to adjust (felt that basic saturation couldn't do that). One famous multiband saturator is the one coming with Izotope Ozone 5, but of course there are plenty others. In the break I used a disted and highpassed vocal with heavy chorus and quick flanging with much delay. On the riff-guitar I just used a phaser and some delay, and on that playing sinewave-synth I used saturation to make a little more of a smooth squarewave and them applied a quick delay.
That's pretty much the most effects I can think of right now that I used.

It would be great to mix a track from you again!

I might give that a go then.

Sounds like good stuff man. I assume that you maybe use FL Studio? If so, do you reckon you could send me the flp? I think I have most of the plugins you've mentioned. Thanks again, by the way.

Loved the song...trying to attach my mix...anyone else having trouble with attachments?

I just get a blue window when I click the attachment thing. It used to work!

And of course...I don't have my 10 post yet...so I can't post an url to the mix.

Back