1950's style rock for you to mix by SONNY And The Starfires from Austin TX-just 7 trx

Manor Music

Happy Days...remember The Fonz?
Here is a band we recorded a few months ago named Sonny And The Starfires
for our "Manor Music Presents"Garage Band ATX compilation CD.

We again recorded the room "live" and let the band play...garage style...garage bands...we jam econo...

Sonny put away the guitar and we did a pre-mix and decided to trash everything except the 3 instrument mics and vocals as per Sonny...but you do as you see fit...

make us a good mix and I'll put you up on my list of credits on our upcoming CD compilation due out by the fall...View attachment standup bass.mp3View attachment overhead.mp3

Attachments

• vocals.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 59
  • snare.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 42
  • saxophone.mp3
  • kick drum.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 47
  • guitar.mp3
    2.8 MB · Views: 50
  • mms presents 300dpi.jpg
    mms presents 300dpi.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 148
I'm nowhere near a pro, but I gave it a quick go. Interested to hear what you think.

Attachments

• Sonny and the starfires.mp3
Last edited:
thx for the mix....
I wish I could have captured more of the standup bass in the original recording....
What did you use to mix btw?

I used GarageBand (like i said, i'm not a pro:) ). The only fx used are eq, some compression on the vocals and reverb.

The bass was a bit hard. Tried giving it a bit more punch, but the bass track had a lot of bleed from the other instruments.

Very nice tune ....

This is a static mix (no volume rides ....)

Maybe a litle too much reverb !

Dirk

Attachments

• hotrodhenry.mp3
    2.7 MB · Views: 13
Sonny and the Starfires - Hot Rod Henry

I just found this site yesterday. I've been recording my own music for a short time and wanted to get better at it, so I started searching and ended up here! Awesome!

This is my first ever multi-track mix, (I've done my own music with one or two guitars and vocals, but nothing more).....This was fun though. Fun trying to carve a groove for all the instruments and bring about balance. I don't know what it sounds like because I didn't take a break from the mix before posting it. Could sound like crap for all I know, but it was still fun and now I have that song stuck in my head. LOL

I did notice some things wrong with it, but didn't know how to fix them. (hiss) and still a little too hot on the top end. But when I cut anything up high, it would end up really flat and dull sounding. I compromised and took away some of the "depth" and had to leave some hiss.

Hopefully it's not too bad.

Attachments

• Hot Rod Henry Mix.mp3
    4.2 MB · Views: 20
here is my take on your stem. but I just realized that there is another track you have but not in the group so I overlooked the bass and it is not in this mix. but since I have already uploaded it in my site so I;ll just let you hear it. I will mix this again already with the bass and will upload next time. in the meantime. listen to this without the bass yet. audio.abonales.com -

Here's my take. The upright bass is very low in volume as I felt it muffled all up, however now listening to it I feel it's a little too low, I'll do another one as soon as I can... in the meantime here's my mix

EDIT: added another version of the mix

Attachments

• HotRodHenryC.mp3
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • HotRodHenryv2(2).mp3
    3 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Hi,
I'm new hear.

Here's my version of this Hot Rod Henry. Thanks for the opportunity to mix such a good recording. I used the mp3 files as I didn't find wav-versions.

I tried to make it sound as an authentic 50 rock'n'roll record. As a reference I had Tennessee Ernie Ford.

Bass was very difficult for me. I didn't succeed to make the bass lines audible, but I'm still quite happy with it.

Cheers,
Olli

View attachment 2013-06-25-hot-rod-henry-olli-h.mp3

THANKS
ol'"Sonny" insisted I mic the bass directly as shown in the foto...i wanted to mic his amp but i was not going to argue with a man in his 60's

1361210788207.jpg

as far as I can tell HomeRecording.com only supports mp3s..wav files are so huge the average email provider wont be able to send them.

THANKS
ol'"Sonny" insisted I mic the bass directly as shown in the foto...i wanted to mic his amp but i was not going to argue with a man in his 60's
I understand the problem very well. 50 rock'n'roll band tend to have very strict rules how things should be done. Next time you might "secretly" record also the bass mic thought the DI box. THen mixer can reamp that signal.

Very good trick is to put omni-mic under the bridge. It will give very natural acoustic and balanced sound although it's very near the instrument. Even the Rockabilly slapping comes naturally with omni. And it doesn't affect the sound although bassist moves here and there. But it must be omni mic there, as they don't have the proximity effect. I've learned that trick from bluegrass bands.

Back