Weak Fittings - 2 track song - Piano/Vocals

davecg321

I'm really in need of help getting this song finished. I am Having a hard time balancing things and compressing vocals. :confused:

Notes on the song: It's a live take recorded all in one go without any overdubs. I used the sound from my digital piano for monitoring (from the speakers) this is the bleed you will hear on the vocal. The actual piano sound is Synthology's Ivory VST. Obviously I could of used headphone to eliminate bleed, but I want to eventually sync this track with live video footage (It'd would look naff if were wearing headphones haha)

I would be really grateful if someone could give this a bash for me :)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8azewc7zv3gilq/Piano.wav?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vpqg36vy6bdzt3o/Vocal.wav?dl=0

Dave

Last edited:
I really like it mate. I'm only listening on my phone right now and it sound a lot better than what I could do.

Have you mastered it also?

If not then could you upload a 24 bit version wav.

It kinda sounds loud on my phone which make me think you might of done this.

What settings did you use on e.qs, compressor etc?

Really happy with it. Nice one

I really like it mate. I'm only listening on my phone right now and it sound a lot better than what I could do.

Have you mastered it also?

If not then could you upload a 24 bit version wav.

It kinda sounds loud on my phone which make me think you might of done this.

What settings did you use on e.qs, compressor etc?

Really happy with it. Nice one
Hey, thanks man!

Mastered? Not really, just a couple dB of limiting, that's all.
In 10 minutes, I just fiddled with some new plugins I wanted to try...

Piano: I flipped Left and Right channels, just for player perspective. Reduced the stereo image at 75% of the original. -3dB @ 300Hz and lower, +3dB @ 4kHz and upper, light hall reverb with about 100ms of delay, light delay.

Voice: no time for automation, I slapped 2 compressors on it. A light one to level the most obvious peaks, a heavier one to bring the voice out. Light dip on 400Hz, +3dB on 1.5kHz and upper for brilliance and some air. Light hall reverb, light slap delay.

Master: 2-3 dB compression with Waves CLA-2A, almost zero limiting with Waves L1

Nothing fancy, quick and easy :)

I'll try to upload a 24bit master in the next few days, stay tuned!

And thanks again ;)

How did you manage tour get the volumemail up there without using much limiting.

I can only seem to get my mix to this level by adding another 6-8db on my limiter.

Oh also could you leave in the claps/space at the beginning. I need these to syncit up to my video. I'll edit them out later.

Cheers ☺

Man, as I told you I'm barely hitting the master bus limiter!
All I did was setting properly the gain stage between the two compressors on the voice track, bring it to level with the piano track, then raise the faders and let them hit the limiter and move the needle:)
A fairly simple and quick procedure, nothing to be scared about!
And yes, I will leave the claps ;)

Cool.

Can I be a massive pain and ask you to mixdown the 24 bit version unmastered (no compression etc) and request the 16 bit as mp3 or wav, and that both include the claps. I'll credit you in the video and share the link with you when I've uploaded it (message me your details etc)

When you talk about using a second heavier compressor on the vocal does this mean your using it to compress more of the signal than the first compressor?

Also, why is it preferable to raise the faders at the end to make the level just hit the limiter rather than just using the limiter to raise overall level?

Anyway thanks again!

Cool.

Can I be a massive pain and ask you to mixdown the 24 bit version unmastered (no compression etc) and request the 16 bit as mp3 or wav, and that both include the claps. I'll credit you in the video and share the link with you when I've uploaded it (message me your details etc)

When you talk about using a second heavier compressor on the vocal does this mean your using it to compress more of the signal than the first compressor?

Also, why is it preferable to raise the faders at the end to make the level just hit the limiter rather than just using the limiter to raise overall level?

Anyway thanks again!

I'd prefer to leave the Waves CLA-2A on the master bus, 'cause it's very musical and adds "his vibe" (and without the L1 it will probably clip), but if you want I can lower the levels and leave it like that. But not today, I have some work to do :)

About the dual compressor, as I said it's a dirty cheap trick I learned somewhere, but it should not be used unless you're in a hurry!
Basically, you use a first compressor with the fastest attack and the fastest release to tame the most obvious peaks (and only them) in the track and bring them to a level that sounds "fine" within the track itself. Then, you bring in the "real" compressor, and use it to treat the track as needed.

About raising the faders, it's not preferable, or better. I work like that, I don't like to hit plugins or master bus with an excessive level (unless required), 'cause everything you add to the signal ends up to some form of "degrading" (IMHO)... It's my preferred method, it works for me, so... :D

About the dual compressor, as I said it's a dirty cheap trick I learned somewhere, but it should not be used unless you're in a hurry!
Basically, you use a first compressor with the fastest attack and the fastest release to tame the most obvious peaks (and only them) in the track and bring them to a level that sounds "fine" within the track itself. Then, you bring in the "real" compressor, and use it to treat the track as needed.

As my teacher told me (Alan Parsons) "there are no rules" Because its the end results that is important. Also he said one day, "Dynamic range is important. But too much dynamic range has a tendency to have a weakness to the sound. Not enough dynamic range will make it sound blaring. So its up to the engineer to find the balance that fits between these two extremes."

(I haven't listened to the tracks, but what I read so far makes me want to say this:) ) corn holing your levels to near clipping and fixing it by putting a limiter is not really achieving a proper mix regardless what genre is recorded.

corn holing your levels to near clipping and fixing it by putting a limiter is not really achieving a proper mix regardless what genre is recorded.
I totally agree with this statement!

But. Are you making a 'general' statement or are you directly addressing my work method? :)

Back