two prog metal songs for your mixing pleasure

So I gave the first youtube track a listen - you don't need this remixed, that's for sure. Nice job. It's great you're offering the stems for others to play with. [I'm going to pass, as I don't think I would do all that much different from what I'm hearing - I tend to like to grab material from here that *needs* the improved mixing]

The Tesseract influence is VERY heavy on that song, almost to the point it sounds derivative. I like what they're doing but not sure how many Tesseracts there needs to be in this world. ;) Good musicianship and production overall, regardless.

Last edited:
That album was super hot fire though. Very inspiring, but I can't say I disagree with Pinky on this one. It's a very distinct sounding album so your songs' similarities in the end may or may not be overshadowed by 2013's #4 Billboard Top Hard Rock Album. You have some good songs though in my opinion, all I'd say is stray from the path many like yourself have taken and make sure you're not writing a Tesseract song ;)

I have similar gripes with Seventh Wonder, they sound like a Dream Theater clone to me. That doesn't take anything away from enjoying the band if you're unfamiliar with Dream Theater, but for someone like me having 2+ decades of DT listening under my belt, I just can't get around it enough to enjoy their music.

i can see how people would hear similarities to Tesseract. they are one of my favorite bands after all. but i´m actaully trying to go for very different vibes than they are. especially our latest album is much more straight forward 90´s hard rock and grundge inspired while still being kept in a modern djenty setting. so please don´t write us off just yet and feel free to check it all out :)

also in case there´s some misunderstanding or if i didn´t get the purpose of this forum right, i´m not looking for remixes or anything. i just wanted to share tracks for others to practice with if they like. feel free to post your mixes here and i´ll give my feedback. in any case, have fun mixing, people.

also in case there´s some misunderstanding or if i didn´t get the purpose of this forum right, i´m not looking for remixes or anything. i just wanted to share tracks for others to practice with if they like. feel free to post your mixes here and i´ll give my feedback. in any case, have fun mixing, people.

Yes, you posted in the right section. I was just commenting on my personal preference (not needing the practice or busy work). But your contribution of quality stems will hopefully get taken advantage of by those who do.

totally forgot, i made a Let´s Mix video series for the first song showing how i mix those tracks. in case anybody is interested how i go about it:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-j59DwKRmokXkrrbE3q6vCwIMrDPkLLV

and here´s my final production of those tracks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lvpdT88WNI

the other mix i posted first is the original album mix. i still want to do the same for the second song but i didn´t get to it yet.

Hi Johnny...

thank you for uploading the stems... what a nice song you have there... also well recorded....
currently im a student in a audio engineering institute... , thanks to you I can practice with this stems... and I took the 1st song
so here my mix :

https://soundcloud.com/gigih-mochammad-habibie/fortiori-the-fightreflection-my-mix

Im looking forward to your feedback and the masters above... , be cruel as you can be.... :)

i think you´re on the right track, but it still sounds quite raw for the music style. in metal nowadays you usually want to process stuff heavier to give the mix that powerful cutting edge. for example the kick could use way more high end click to cut through the guitars and the vocals could use more compression so they stay consistently up front with all the other powerful stuff going on.

i think you´re on the right track, but it still sounds quite raw for the music style. in metal nowadays you usually want to process stuff heavier to give the mix that powerful cutting edge. for example the kick could use way more high end click to cut through the guitars and the vocals could use more compression so they stay consistently up front with all the other powerful stuff going on.

Thank you Johnny :)

yeah it's quite raw... , I've listened to your version too , good mix , good reverb touch.... , to be honest this song is few of metal song that i've been mixed... and I still dont know how to put a decent effect to metal song and Im tottally out of idea... , ussually im mixing some kind of pop or pop-rock genres... and Im scared using reverb like you did , Im affraid that the reverb can alter the song energy.... but after hearing your version it's the way around.... that's something I can learn... :)
about the kick you are right... that's a pop or pop rock kick... , im just realized that.... sad...
and the vocal sounds like pop too... , you are right it's need more compression.... but im affraid putting more compression will kill the vocal dynamics.
but anyway thank's for your suggestion :) u rockk ... !!!!! :)

Hi Johnny...

thank you for uploading the stems... what a nice song you have there... also well recorded....
currently im a student in a audio engineering institute... , thanks to you I can practice with this stems... and I took the 1st song
so here my mix :

https://soundcloud.com/gigih-mochammad-habibie/fortiori-the-fightreflection-my-mix

Im looking forward to your feedback and the masters above... , be cruel as you can be.... :)

I like your mix, might not be in-your-face loud, and I agree the kick could use a touch bit of click to help it stand out, overall it's very well balanced and enjoyable.

Wow,,, thanks for sharing,, this is going to be a blast, with both songs,,, Did you play and do all the production ? You know what happened to Dave Grohl right? lol,,,
He had to find members to play and be in the band, lol,,, Even though the first FooFighters album demo was all him, lol,,,

And, to note,,, When Rush was finally heard in the US on the Radio in Ohio, people called the radio station to request the new Led Zeppelin song, lol,,,
Imitation is the best form of flattery,,, Making it yours is a gift,,,

Be yourself, follow your heart, out of your head and share with the world,,, hope this actually goes somewhere, diverse enough to even be cinema worthy, as well as just an album...
Very, very nice work,,, Talented and gifted,,,

Downloading now,,,

@The Rocker
thanks a bunch. yeah i did everything except vocals and that sax. i don´t plan to make a full band and play live, though. so i´ll be fine :D

@johnny shnizz Thanks a *lot* for sharing your tracks!!!
I enjoyed so much mixing The Fight, a really nice song

Let me know what you think about mix mix:
https://soundcloud.com/pmilani/fortiori-the-fight

there´s a bit much going on in the low end. i´d filter the guitars some more to clean it up. also don´t be afraid to EQ the bass and rhythms harder. the raw bass tone is quite muddy and the guitar tone rather scratchy. not the best raw tones to work with, tbh, but makes for good learning experience on how to clean stuff up with EQ. but otherwise i don´t notice any big issues. i do hear some artifacts in the high end but i think that´s due to the mp3 and soundcloud compression.

edit:
here´s my mix of those tracks in case you´d like to use it as reference:

Here is my mix of Dissent: The Fight

I still have to work on the other song.

Thank you for the practice tracks!!!

Back