Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: two prog metal songs for your mixing pleasure

Thanks

two prog metal songs for your mixing pleasure

Sign in to disable this ad
    hi everybody,

if you´re interested to mix some prog metal please feel free to check out these tracks:

ForTiorI - The Fight (Reflection) stems
    ForTiorI - Unread Story tracks

though the second one is more jazzy with acoustic guitar and sax, but it turns metal-ish along the way.
    here are the original album mixes if you´re interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPU26dyGERE
    https://youtu.be/aV54pc1GcNw?t=16m2s

cheers

www.youtube.com/c/ForTiorIJohnny

Thanks
    So I gave the first youtube track a listen - you don't need this remixed, that's for sure. Nice job. It's great you're offering the stems for others to play with. [I'm going to pass, as I don't think I would do all that much different from what I'm hearing - I tend to like to grab material from here that *needs* the improved mixing]

The Tesseract influence is VERY heavy on that song, almost to the point it sounds derivative. I like what they're doing but not sure how many Tesseracts there needs to be in this world. Good musicianship and production overall, regardless.
    Last edited by Pinky; 03-16-2016 at 18:00.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    Altered State pt. II

4. The Following User Says Thank You to wtfuhz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wtfuhz View Post
    Altered State pt. II
    Thanks for confirming what my ears were telling me. I don't like being a wet blanket, but the similarities were glaring.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    That album was super hot fire though. Very inspiring, but I can't say I disagree with Pinky on this one. It's a very distinct sounding album so your songs' similarities in the end may or may not be overshadowed by 2013's #4 Billboard Top Hard Rock Album. You have some good songs though in my opinion, all I'd say is stray from the path many like yourself have taken and make sure you're not writing a Tesseract song

Thanks
    I have similar gripes with Seventh Wonder, they sound like a Dream Theater clone to me. That doesn't take anything away from enjoying the band if you're unfamiliar with Dream Theater, but for someone like me having 2+ decades of DT listening under my belt, I just can't get around it enough to enjoy their music.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    i can see how people would hear similarities to Tesseract. they are one of my favorite bands after all. but i´m actaully trying to go for very different vibes than they are. especially our latest album is much more straight forward 90´s hard rock and grundge inspired while still being kept in a modern djenty setting. so please don´t write us off just yet and feel free to check it all out

also in case there´s some misunderstanding or if i didn´t get the purpose of this forum right, i´m not looking for remixes or anything. i just wanted to share tracks for others to practice with if they like. feel free to post your mixes here and i´ll give my feedback. in any case, have fun mixing, people.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny shnizz View Post
    also in case there´s some misunderstanding or if i didn´t get the purpose of this forum right, i´m not looking for remixes or anything. i just wanted to share tracks for others to practice with if they like. feel free to post your mixes here and i´ll give my feedback. in any case, have fun mixing, people.
    Yes, you posted in the right section. I was just commenting on my personal preference (not needing the practice or busy work). But your contribution of quality stems will hopefully get taken advantage of by those who do.
    Boogeymen Productions
    www.boogeypro.com

Thanks
    Hi Johnny...

thank you for uploading the stems... what a nice song you have there... also well recorded....
    currently im a student in a audio engineering institute... , thanks to you I can practice with this stems... and I took the 1st song
    so here my mix :

https://soundcloud.com/gigih-mochamm...lection-my-mix

Im looking forward to your feedback and the masters above... , be cruel as you can be....

Thanks
    totally forgot, i made a Let´s Mix video series for the first song showing how i mix those tracks. in case anybody is interested how i go about it:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...q6vCwIMrDPkLLV

and here´s my final production of those tracks:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lvpdT88WNI

the other mix i posted first is the original album mix. i still want to do the same for the second song but i didn´t get to it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Gexx View Post
    Hi Johnny...

thank you for uploading the stems... what a nice song you have there... also well recorded....
    currently im a student in a audio engineering institute... , thanks to you I can practice with this stems... and I took the 1st song
    so here my mix :

https://soundcloud.com/gigih-mochamm...lection-my-mix

Im looking forward to your feedback and the masters above... , be cruel as you can be....

i think you´re on the right track, but it still sounds quite raw for the music style. in metal nowadays you usually want to process stuff heavier to give the mix that powerful cutting edge. for example the kick could use way more high end click to cut through the guitars and the vocals could use more compression so they stay consistently up front with all the other powerful stuff going on.

Thread Information