Tracks available for mixing - De Mille et une Facons/So Many Ways

Quemerica

Tracks available for mixing - De Mille et une Facons/So Many Ways

Greetings.

I wrote this song in the 90's, but recorded it only last month. The song has both French and English lyrics.

It's a fun and dynamic song with a cool floaty break in the middle.

Her is the ZIP file with the tracks:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/imowimezdg0qnsq/Milleetunefacons.zip?dl=0

-bass
-acoustic and electric guitar
-synthpad
-vocal and backvocal
-drum (mixed stems and the MIDI file if you want to use your own favorite VSTi and mix a new sound)
-acoustic guitar solo
-spoken words

I cleaned the audio as best I could and did a bit of gain staging. Left most track dry with minimal to no compression.

I did not have the best microphone and the electric and bass were DI, so I put some slight EQ.

I mixed it using the Reaper DAW with free VST plugins. Here is my version:

https://soundcloud.com/consciousgrooves/mille-et-une-facons

I'm a beginner and need to learn how to do better mixes. I tried finding a reference song to help mix this song, but could not find anything comparable. So I'm hoping someone out there will MIX IT and share the mp3 with me. This way I could compare and learn a few things.

Perhaps we can share some techniques? How we got things to sound how they do?

On my side of things, I did a lot of panning to try to make room for the vocals. I'm not really happy with my mix... I never mixed a drum before, so perhaps you should start with the MIDI file and create a new drum sound?

Can you tell me what I did wrong or could of done better?

Thanks.

Hey. Thanks for mixing and sharing.

I like it. It gives me some perspective on things. For example, I like how you simplified the song arrangement by putting some guitars further in the back. I also like to reverb on the vocals.

I wonder, however, why you chose to remove the drums and guitar solo? I think I can sort of hear the drums and solo way way way in the back, but not really.

Did something happen to the rendering to wav file, or did you prefer no drums and no solo?

Hey. Thanks for mixing and sharing.

I like it. It gives me some perspective on things. For example, I like how you simplified the song arrangement by putting some guitars further in the back. I also like to reverb on the vocals.

I wonder, however, why you chose to remove the drums and guitar solo? I think I can sort of hear the drums and solo way way way in the back, but not really.

Did something happen to the rendering to wav file, or did you prefer no drums and no solo?

I did prefer no drums and no solo hehe.

Back