Submissions for Mix This Project

Yeah man, I see the similarities with our approach for sure. Definitely a low end issue with your mixing in headphones though with the kick and bass, but it is like so close to what I would have done on my monitors. Props to you Rokket! You definitely have a good ear man.

Again, this is not a competition, and I do not wish for it to be as such, but that was really cool to hear another mix sound close to what I heard in my head. :)

Thank you, I really appreciate the recognition. It's hard to work with headphones after having 2 sets of nearfields and a couple other sets of speakers to work with, but I found I could get used to it with a decent set of headphones. Unfortunately, those were destroyed by a fat lady on an airplane, and all I could afford to replace them with were $30 Sonys that don't have a decent bass response.

Keep at what you are doing. It's fun without the hassles of competition involved. Like it should be.

Again man, my initial thought for this 'Mix It' thing, was to give opportunity for members here (old and new) an opportunity to see exactly what we record/mix/deal with on a regular basis. Not to compete on any level of gear, nor expertise. Just having the ability to find out where others are at with recording tracks with their gear, would mean much more than words for me when I was getting started. Hell, I am still learning every day that the spelling of each ends in 'day'. Moan-day, 2's-day-fried-day...

I look forward to learning from both those that submit tracks, as well as the members that give their own take on the songs that are submitted. Hell, I cant wait till someone completely mutilates someones tracks into a whole new song. :) It may take a while...

I hope for this forum to become a place where we can all learn from each other, and possibly collaborate with each other. More than just the MP3 clinic that is asking opinions of a particular mix, we could possibly get direct results by experiment, from designated source material, and have honest results from the experiment. I hope that we will all learn from each other, by doing what we know from the same sources. Like science class for recording geeks such as ourselves.

It is easy to judge someone elses mix, but I think we could learn much more by working with each others mixes directly, without feeling like we need to compete for the 'Best Mix', nor the submissions of songs for this forum.

Competitions IMO, are for those who have big ego's, or have self conscious issues about themselves. My vision for the 'Mix This' forum, is that it has nothing to do with any personal agenda. Just a place to learn from each other.

Dammit, I may have placed this in the wrong forum.....

I just want members to have something cool to play with, that does not involve a level of expertise to be involved in.

A place to learn from each other is what I hope this 'Mix This' forum to become...

LOL... cool! I've got blocked ears today so I can't really hear properly but I was grooving along... you've copied the bass track and fuzzed that up? Or is that something else?

Thank goodness for your blocked ears then!

Yep, that's your bass doubled. I only spent around an hour on it, so I didn't have time to add any new tracks beyond the originals.

The big challenge I encountered was that there seemed to be a lot of hiss in the kick and snare tracks (around 3k for the former and 10k for the latter). It made getting the volume of those up pretty difficult. Listening to Jimmy's mix, it seems like he didn't find a solution either. ;)

Thank goodness for your blocked ears then!

Yep, that's your bass doubled. I only spent around an hour on it, so I didn't have time to add any new tracks beyond the originals.

The big challenge I encountered was that there seemed to be a lot of hiss in the kick and snare tracks (around 3k for the former and 10k for the latter). It made getting the volume of those up pretty difficult. Listening to Jimmy's mix, it seems like he didn't find a solution either. ;)

I suspect this is because of my antiquated means of getting them to their final state - which is one of the reasons I'm upgrading to an all in the box solution - burning drum tracks onto a CD from a laptop computer and then importing them into a standalone has its limitations! I still can't hear well, but I like what you've done.... thanks for taking the time.

Not sure where to post this.

I sent Jimmy the tracks to this song: SAY NO MORE if anyone wants to mix it. Well, I didn't really send him the tracks, but I sent him the link to pick them up. I'm sure he'll post a link tot hem once he picks them up.

Not sure where to post this.

I sent Jimmy the tracks to this song: SAY NO MORE if anyone wants to mix it. Well, I didn't really send him the tracks, but I sent him the link to pick them up. I'm sure he'll post a link tot hem once he picks them up.

RAMI I am forever jealous of your crisp and neat sounding drums :D

And Down Again (Death Metal)

Hi everybody ,
this s a part of my song named (And Down Again) , the thing is it s all sampled instrument (guitars and bass) and a MIDI drums track , I tried to make it as realistic as I could , but I know it s not even close to a real recorded guitar , I tried to work with sampling more often these days caus I don have access to a guitar or a guitar player for a while , anyway I tried to mix it and here it is , would be glad if anybody give it a try, it was a bit of challenge for me so I wanted to see what you gurus can do with it and how you make it sound more realistic , and please give me your opinion on sample quality and how to make it more realistic , can I do a better job with sampling ?

Attachments

• ADA Sample.mp3
    1 MB · Views: 13
Vagabond - Barman's Help (ShiftZMix)

Hello,
Well, may be late for any contests, but had some fun with it overnight. Thanks to the band and OP on the Track.

Hen-joy,

Highbone

When you sample use the highest quality everything in the signal chain. Good mic that can pick up 20-20k flat, clean mic pre and then record at the highest resolution you can. Otherwise it's gonna be tough to make it sound good without adding noise.

I might offer, if I may, that the above post isn't particularly accurate regarding the final sentence. Sentences 1 & 2 are merely options that one may or may not strive to achieve depending on budget & recording philosophy/current predelictions.

I might offer, if I may, that the above post isn't particularly accurate regarding the final sentence. Sentences 1 & 2 are merely options that one may or may not strive to achieve depending on budget & recording philosophy/current predelictions.

Be thankful he was able to put a complete sentence together. All his other posts are complete babbling buffoonery.

Oh, this is an interesting idea. Have to have a look at making one of my recent songs available...checking required formats now.

Back