Submissions for Mix This Project

A suggestion for making sure all the tracks are aligned when we're submitting for this project:

Create stems from all of your raw tracks before bundling them for download. This way, pure silence is placed at the beginning and end of all tracks and they should all appear the same length, no matter which DAW they're imported into.

a question about the files, there is a midi sequence, is there a particular instrument which is meant for this or can I do whatever I want with it?

Armistice's MIDI sequence is from Addictive Drums. But I'm sure you could find something else to use it for. :)

Trust me, it sounds pretty crap as a piano....

I'd be interested to hear people take the midi sequence and use different drums, however... just a thought!:)

Yeah, I hear that too. Addictive Drums cymbals always seem to have that. One of us should record live cymbals for the track. Or just play the whole song. Hmm...

I never had a drum set when I was recording either. I used my Yamaha keyboard with it's built in drum machine to record a scratch track to play to, then had either GregL or BentRabbit do the drums for me. Greg makes it easy for newbies to mix his drums, as he is a really consistant player, and he'll gate and mix them down to 4 tracks to make it easy. I've mixed his full tracks before without any real problems either. Not much compression needed: like I said, he's really consistant.

But, I don't know if he is still collaberating like that anymore. I haven't been here for more than a year...

actually I'm making a change, realised the solo was way too loud, but now I have to wait to upload it again :facepalm:

Hey, Jimmy....

The track Audio BV is an empty track.... I am assuming BV is backing vocals? I don't know what happened, but I got everything else in Reaper and got a faders only mix. Sounds like a really, really good song so far. It's well tracked, great performance. I am liking what I hear.

Yep, my bad. BV2 actually, was the send track for the 'faked' Melodyne backup vocal harmony. It is blank. The singer was not available to record the harmony track, so I just created one. It sounds like ass solo'd, but seems to work well within the mix. Studio trickery, yes. Ideal, not so much.

Yeah, I always really liked that song myself. Great bunch of guys too.

BTW, I didn't post a link for my mix here, as I don't feel that moderators should necessarily be the ones to add tracks to this project as of yet. This is a one off for now. My mix can be found on my website if curious.

I guess I am ready to start messing with it then. I am not all that familiar with the genre, so it may not end up sounding like it's supposed to, but I will give it my best shot. I may just go on YouTube and see if I can dig some up to compare my mix to.
The faders only mix is a pretty standard mix. Everything is balanced, with the vocal on top. I don't know if they mix screamo like that or not, so I am going to do some research.

BTW, I didn't post a link for my mix here, as I don't feel that moderators should necessarily be the ones to add tracks to this project as of yet. This is a one off for now. My mix can be found on my website if curious.

Which mix is that? This new song or the OP?

Forever Scarred. The unspoken submission.

Ah, ok...

I am going to post my initial mix. I may work on it more later on, but I am fairly happy with what I have, and if I keep going it will probably just end up getting mushy.

I took a listen to your mix. We have a very similar style. The difference, of course, is that you have better converters and such, as I am mixing on a laptop in a hotel room with headphones.... yeah, I know.

Nice work.

I took a listen to your mix. We have a very similar style. The difference, of course, is that you have better converters and such, as I am mixing on a laptop in a hotel room with headphones.... yeah, I know.

Nice work.

Yeah man, I see the similarities with our approach for sure. Definitely a low end issue with your mixing in headphones though with the kick and bass, but it is like so close to what I would have done on my monitors. Props to you Rokket! You definitely have a good ear man.

Again, this is not a competition, and I do not wish for it to be as such, but that was really cool to hear another mix sound close to what I heard in my head. :)

Back