Submissions for Mix This Project

I don't think you've quite got the drums lined up with the instruments there Rokket :).... only by about 12 1/2 bars or so. The WAVs probably don't all start at exactly the same point... you can hear the original mix up the top of the thread... shouldn't be too hard to line 'em up...

Yeah, that is something we need to make sure to happen when we give submitted tracks. They all gotta start at the same time. I just mixed a tune for a buddy, and found out the vocals were off 2 measures. It actually sounded good, but it was not what he wanted.

I'm pulling up your tracks now Mr. and will just get them lined up for future. :)

Heavy is good. How did that mix sound? I really didn't listen to it outside of Reaper, so I don't know how it translates on something like Windows Media. Anyway, it was nice to be able to mix something, so I am happy.

If you have something else, bring it on. My ears aren't fatigued yet.

980.4MB uploading. Gonna be a little bit.

Mix sounded ok, but like Armi said, it was not aligned correctly with the drums.

I think from now on, we should also include an MP3 mix within the track files, so that the alignment can be figured out within the project folder, in case something is amisstice. I meant amiss. :)

Didn't think of that.

The instruments come from a standalone workstation whereas the drums are from Reaper. The instrument files I daresay contain "count in" silence of about 20 secs while I push the button and rush to the guitar, so it should just be a matter of chopping the same amount off the front of all of them - I can probably do it in Reaper if you want Jimmy, and send them back tomorrow?

From the sound of Rokket's mix all the instruments/vocals are grouped together and all the drums are grouped together, and as the first guitar note and the first kick beat should coincide, it's a fairly simple chop exercise to get them all good.

It's weird because, trust me, there ain't 20 secs of recorded silence on the workstation on the front of each instrument track, but apparently when the back up runs and creates the CD I rip them from, if the actual sound starts at 20 seconds, it adds 20 seconds to the wav....

One more reason I'll be glad to see the end of the venerable AW4416 and go PC... :-)

Didn't think of that.

The instruments come from a standalone workstation whereas the drums are from Reaper. The instrument files I daresay contain "count in" silence of about 20 secs while I push the button and rush to the guitar, so it should just be a matter of chopping the same amount off the front of all of them - I can probably do it in Reaper if you want Jimmy, and send them back tomorrow?

From the sound of Rokket's mix all the instruments/vocals are grouped together and all the drums are grouped together, and as the first guitar note and the first kick beat should coincide, it's a fairly simple chop exercise to get them all good.

It's weird because, trust me, there ain't 20 secs of recorded silence on the workstation on the front of each instrument track, but apparently when the back up runs and creates the CD I rip them from, if the actual sound starts at 20 seconds, it adds 20 seconds to the wav....

One more reason I'll be glad to see the end of the venerable AW4416 and go PC... :-)

Yeah, that can be an issue. I can export them and replace the files probably quicker from here. I do it quite often, so it is second nature.

I got it. :)

I don't think you've quite got the drums lined up with the instruments there Rokket :).... only by about 12 1/2 bars or so. The WAVs probably don't all start at exactly the same point... you can hear the original mix up the top of the thread... shouldn't be too hard to line 'em up...
Doh!!!! Ok, I'll have to go and check that out. Crap.... I usually don't listen to other people's mixes before hand... should have, huh?

Aligned Fraud tracks uploading now.

Yeah Rokket, just select all the drum tracks (Kick, Snare, HH, Overheads, and Room), and slide them to where the kick hits on the very first guitar not as Armi suggested. That is the correct spot.

I had to interrupt my upload of the heavy song so that I could get this song to the FTP and start the forum. I will send it later.

Aligned Fraud tracks uploading now.

Yeah Rokket, just select all the drum tracks (Kick, Snare, HH, Overheads, and Room), and slide them to where the kick hits on the very first guitar not as Armi suggested. That is the correct spot.

I had to interrupt my upload of the heavy song so that I could get this song to the FTP and start the forum. I will send it later.
I got it. I guess I should have realized something wasn't right when the drums stopped before the rest of the song ended, but it sounded cool like that, so...
Anyhow, here is the new mix, same settings, just realigned the tracks..

Thanks Jimmy!

Sorry Rokket... my bad!
No problem. In a way, I should have listened to the original mix before I started, but in a way, it's good that this little issue came to light so that you could fix it in case a first timer gets ahold of it and freaks out...

I posted a second mix, can you listen and let me know if anything sticks out to the point of fighting back the gag reflex?

Might try mixing it tomorrow :) I do like the idea of this, I've only ever done one proper mix so this is going to be very useful because I wont need to record a whole song to mix it, I can just get a lot of practice in :)

I posted a second mix, can you listen and let me know if anything sticks out to the point of fighting back the gag reflex?

It sounds really good Rokket.... more "air" and space than my original mix! I can see that when this is all over I'll be picking people's brains to find out how they achieved certain things...

It sounds really good Rokket.... more "air" and space than my original mix! I can see that when this is all over I'll be picking people's brains to find out how they achieved certain things...

I'll be glad to tell you. I have only been at this for about 8 years now, and really the last 2 or so I haven't done ANYTHING, but it takes time to figure out what is going to sound right and what won't.

I will let you in on one big secret though: proper tracking goes a long way. If you track properly, the song pretty much mixes itself. Most people think "I'll just point a mic and hit record". Sometimes you get lucky, but most of the time, it's GIGO (garbage in, garbage out) when you do that.

So learning about levels and headroom and proper mic placement will take you miles further than figuring out how to polish a highly visable turd.

980.4MB uploading. Gonna be a little bit.

Mix sounded ok, but like Armi said, it was not aligned correctly with the drums.

I think from now on, we should also include an MP3 mix within the track files, so that the alignment can be figured out within the project folder, in case something is amisstice. I meant amiss. :)
Any progress on that heavy mix?

I just got a good listen to this. I noticed when I was mixing that the drums have some high frequency noise in the tracks. I noticed it in the very beginning of your mix. I had to gate all the drum tracks to get rid of it.

Yeah, I hear that too. Addictive Drums cymbals always seem to have that. One of us should record live cymbals for the track. Or just play the whole song. Hmm...

Back