New artist, newer to Home Recording.

Slump D

Hey Gang,
My name is Drew, (Slump D is the rap handle) Recently I've started making beats in Ableton Live, and tracking with Pro-Tools Express with a verrrrry homey (perhaps homely as well) setup.
Once the beat is okay to track with (not mixed at all) I record with MXL990 plugged into an M-Audio M-track interface. The 'lab' is in a basement, so that helps a bit, but certainly not treated for optimal recording.
I have a lot of written stuff, and beats in progress that I'd like opinions on, maybe even help with the mixing and mastering process! I recorded my first complete track, and sent it do an engineer I found online; however I believe he was kind of a "cookie cutter" deal as it took him hardly any time to bounce it back to me, it doesn't sound radio quality, and I'd like to pinpoint why.
Is it the fact that I have a shitty mic, that's not in a booth? Can I do something different with my vocals? Did he just not take any time, tell me it sounds great, and hope I didn't notice?
These things keep me up at night. Obviously, as the Newbie thread says "friends and family lie" but I cannot lie to myself. I'm getting to the point where I have enough material for a small first release, but I don't want it to sound like a first release.
I've attached the mix as it sits,(Titled Girl You Might Know That's Me) one of my first beats, so I'm sure that's part of why it sounds so weak, but I feel like it could vocally sound better in addition to the instrumental. I can upload the stem files of the beat and the raw VOX tonight if anyone wants to tackle it, and show me what's possible.

View attachment Girl You Might Know MASTER 4 MP3.mp3

Any and all support/constructive criticism is welcome. Thanks a lot!

- D

By "radio quality" what do you actually want? Much of what's being released in the last 10-15 years is heavily compressed and from a technical standpoint does a poor job delivering a *quality* mix. Loud? yes, everything now is loud and the mix you posted is certainly not loud, but are you looking to compete with signed artists (with budgets and studio equipment) or want something that sounds good at all levels? Realistically, even if you ever got a recording deal, the odds of them using what you've already done is slim so at least I would focus on getting a good sounding product knowing very well it will all be redone later if the gods favor you getting a big label release. So what I'm saying is - don't get into a loudness war pissing match with the big studios, you won't win! Do this for you and what you want/need.

As an aside, I like the retro thing you're doing.

The vocals probably have too much delay, they're busy in mostly bad ways. Definitely not poorly recorded and there's plenty there for someone with skilled ears and tools to bring out.

Since this is the "MIx this" section, if you posted the raw files for us to mix, or a rough mix for us to master, in a higher quality format (16+bit/44.1+Khz WAV preferably) we could give it a shot. Trying to master an already tinkered with MP3 mix won't produce very good results.

Pinky,
Thanks for reaching out. I guess what I mean is that, albeit the track doesn't sound like shit that you'd hear on the radio, that in another time or place it might have? If that makes sense. I feel that it sounds like it's a shiny version of a shitty song (maybe it is just the song, im sick to death of it.) All my other beats are better as I introduced an actual musician into my production, however I'd love it if this one can be spiced up a little bit, and thusly revived.
I was certainly not expecting anyone to mix that mp3! I figured I should try to introduce myself a little bit (I should have made an intro thread, but this was gonna get posted right after, so I introduced myself in this thread)
Anyway, I am uploading stem files and vox to my google drive, and i'll email the link if you wanna give me an address when they're all done.

Thanks a lot.

- D

Alright, 8 tracks for the beat and 5 for the VOX, anyone interested at taking a wack at this mix, give me an email address and i'll link you to my google drive.

I hope you have fun. Not sure how appropriate this is, but like I said I'm trying to get an album going, so I might treat these as sort of "try outs" and I'm willing to pay the person that seems to fit my style best (if they want to work with me.)
My biggest influence is Mac Dre, by far. If you're savvy with his shit at all, you'll most likely hear it, so if that helps in any way with the mix, listen to a bit of MD.
Thanks, crew.

- D

Tell me if that link doesn't work. That's the first time I've shared my drive like that, not sure if that link is correct. Thank you.
- D

Yeah, my bad I didn't think about that. I will get them all onto my drop box this evening, and share it with you. Does that work, or is there a better method? I could email you giving you access to download them from my drive if you wanna gimme your email..

Thanks Drew, started the download now. In the future, you might want to bundle the tracks into a zip file. As it is now, I have to click each one and manually download. Minor annoyance but anything to not annoy collaborators is helpful! :D

Drew, what was the BPM for the project? I miay be applying some liberal delay and like using tempo sync whenever possible.

Back