New artist, newer to Home Recording.

Awesome man. Do you like the music enough to potentially work with me on other projects? Obviously if money was involved and I like how you make me sound?

With or without money I'm always down for collaborating. This is my personal life busy season though (I spend a lot of time outdoors, plus NHL playoffs in the evenings through late May ;) ). I have eclectic music taste and your song falls right into the middle of what I like. :)

That pleases me Pinky, I'm glad you like it, and grateful you're willing to make it better! I'm pleased to have thrown it out there, no one other than people I know have heard it, and I know you wouldn't fuck with it if it was wack... I appreciate everyone's support and feedback (negative as well, if you don't like something, tell me why.) I'm excited to lay down the next track, which, I suppose I could do at this point, I'll just be a lot more gung ho when I get my first cut to a satisfactory level, thus confirming that I can make a quality record in my basement/with the help of more experienced producers. So, take your time! I am super stoked to hear the mixes.

- D

I started doing some mixing this morning (will upload something for you when I get home later...). Initial impression is that the vocals had a lot of background noise, which I think was a product of the actual voice level (gain) being rather low, so when I brought things up the background noises came up as well. I help offset this I'm going to fade in/out the edges of the vocal tracks as needed, as well as apply some nominal noise reduction.

Since everything else was digital I had no problems or suggestions. The mix sounds fuller but I have yet to hear anything "fun" I could bring to it without interfering with the overall feel (stripped down nature) of the track. Sometimes less is more. I added a lot of much needed stereo chorus and reverb to several of the instruments, so now things sit less in the middle and there's layers to the recording.

Okay, so for the next one, turn the gain on my interface up? There isn't a lot of "fun" that can be added to that particular beat, its kinda dull IMO. I think the next ones I send, you'll have a lot more fun with, haha. and ill probably record a third VOX track for the verses (that kinda "ad-lib" track that layers under the main vocals that most rap songs have) then I bet you can do even more funky shit. One question about that though: recording that third VOX track is hard because sometimes I don't get the line exactly where it needs to be. The first guy I sent it to didn't move it at all, and it made me have to take it out completely. Is that something that is easily moved around, or does it need to match up from the jump? I hope that query makes sense... Thanks for the update buddy. I was just browsing your website, and listened to a few of the samples. Love what i'm hearing so far! You're the first person to really take a crack at it, and explain to me what you're doing, I'm hanging on and looking forward to every one of your posts! haha

I'll listen with a fresh set of ears tonight, if I hear what you're saying I'll nudge the vocal part(s) around, if not you'll need to either correct it before sending or retrack (or describe which sections are of, which is kinda difficult IMO).

I would say the gain would need to go up (or phantom power on the m-audio interface turned up). You should have level meters in your DAW/recorder, and you don't need to redline but your peaks should get close to 0db. I think the tracks you sent were much lower than that, like peaks at -20db...

**editted, reread the first post**

Last edited:
View attachment Girl - Boogeymen Productions.mp3

Here ya go. Hope you enjoy!

I don't hear the obvious vocal issue in the chorus. It's a little loose but there's no sections I hear that require attention, maybe the separation I've given the vocal parts has helped alleviate those issues?

I did ZERO eq'ing, which is likely the only mix I've done in a decade where I didn't feel the need. There's a few spots where the vocals hit a little low on the pops (P's, B's) but they're well within my standards of being okay.

I was referring the a third vocal track on the verses, I didn't include it on this mix. The layering on the hook I though was fine.

This is awesome man, you've done it, I don't hate listening to it anymore! I can confidently move on to the next one. I'll put it down asap to see if you're wanting to keep working together. Ill give you better levels too. Thanks a lot man, now I am starting to get somewhere. That's wild that you didn't have to do any EQ? My voice is just perfect, huh? lmao, kidding.

Note: anyone else, I am still interested in your versions too!

I'll put it down asap to see if you're wanting to keep working together. Ill give you better levels too.

Because of the simplicity of the track I spent maybe 90 minutes total on this. Some mixes can take 9 hours. lol

Post whatever you need here. If I can I'll do another mix. If I'm busy I just won't be able to at that time. It was fun working on this.

Well shit, if it's free I can't exactly insist you hurry on it. I'll lay it down, and let you know when it's zipped, and ready for whenever you could take a crack at it. Thanks again.
- D

Back