Mixers wanted! Pop rock tune

here's my submission, spend a few hours on it, let me know what you think. I used lexicon reverbs on this to help give it that lush 80s cinematic sound.

cheers,

Ben Tyreman.

View attachment 92776

Last edited:
here's my submission, spend a few hours on it, let me know what you think. I used lexicon reverbs on this to help give it that lush 80s cinematic sound.

cheers,

Ben Tyreman.

View attachment 92776

Hey, that's great! I like what you did with the drums. The song definitely has an 80s vibe for sure, so it's cool to hear it mixed more in that direction. I also like your EQ on the lead vocal better. Would you mind telling me what you did on that? Thanks so much for the mix; I like it a lot! :)

Hey, that's great! I like what you did with the drums. The song definitely has an 80s vibe for sure, so it's cool to hear it mixed more in that direction. I also like your EQ on the lead vocal better. Would you mind telling me what you did on that? Thanks so much for the mix; I like it a lot! :)

thanks, I basically cut the low mids at 179.9Hz around -7dB with a very narrow Q, then a further cut at 267Hz, that's where I found the resonance to be, it also has a maag EQ 4 plug in on it to give it a 6.5dB boost at 10k, usually this would sound awful but not with the maag.

Half Finished Book - Perfekt Chaos Mix

Hi there!
Just decided to give a try on this song. Really cool vibe... and as said before it kinda have a 80s feeling ;)

So here goes, hope you enjoy it.
There are lot of things that can be explored here.

Thanks for sharing.

All the best,
Walter

Attachments

• half finished book.mp3
    7.2 MB · Views: 99
thanks, I basically cut the low mids at 179.9Hz around -7dB with a very narrow Q, then a further cut at 267Hz, that's where I found the resonance to be, it also has a maag EQ 4 plug in on it to give it a 6.5dB boost at 10k, usually this would sound awful but not with the maag.

Oh wow, so you didn't even need a hi-pass filter on the lead vocal? Interesting. I'm going to try your EQ numbers and see if I can get similar results. The vocals are always the hardest thing for me to make sit nicely. Thanks again!

Thanks y'all! Some really cool ideas here. Drums out front and huge, drums more recessed with huge guitars. It's interesting that all three of y'all omitted the 12-string on the last chorus. Maybe I should take that as a hint? :)

This is the first time I've submitted a song for others to mix, and it's really a lot of fun and educational too. There are things I like about each mix, and it's so interesting to hear everyone's take on it.

Thanks so much Perfekt Chaos and GT3000XX! Both of yours sound great and yet are totally unique! :)

It has tons of midi riffs. Very similar to EZ Drummer 2 except for piano. There are not a bunch of keyboard sounds. It depends on which one you purchase. I find it good for composing songs. Here is one I did way back when EZ Keys was just released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEy-OzvqVtc

Yeah, that does sound nice. So is it like EZD in that there are expansion packs for different keys sounds (organs, electric piano, etc.)?

Of course ... I guess I could just go take a look at the site, huh? :)

Thanks y'all! Some really cool ideas here. Drums out front and huge, drums more recessed with huge guitars. It's interesting that all three of y'all omitted the 12-string on the last chorus. Maybe I should take that as a hint? :)

This is the first time I've submitted a song for others to mix, and it's really a lot of fun and educational too. There are things I like about each mix, and it's so interesting to hear everyone's take on it.

Thanks so much Perfekt Chaos and GT3000XX! Both of yours sound great and yet are totally unique! :)

the 12 string wasn't in the files you shared during the last chorus, that's why on my mix there's no 12 string in there.

the 12 string wasn't in the files you shared during the last chorus, that's why on my mix there's no 12 string in there.

Oh ... heheheh. I guess that would explain it then. I don't know what happened with that. I guess I should have told y'all the tempo too (114 bpm), as that would have made it easy to copy and paste stuff should you want to.

Great tune! Very catchy. If you could mix the the drum sound from Btyre and the upfront vocals of GT. Everyone did a great job on their mixes. We messed around with it at Sound Advocate, they have an old Neve. I could never find the snare sound, most of the pop was in the room tracks. Anyway, great job folks! New to this forum but really enjoyed your song, where can I hear more?

We did a quick mix using their EMT140, maybe a little too wet for the current trend but we're all from the 80's. View attachment Half Finished Book.mp3

TKeefe | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Last edited:
Great tune! Very catchy. If you could mix the the drum sound from Btyre and the upfront vocals of GT. Everyone did a great job on their mixes. We messed around with it at Sound Advocate, they have an old Neve. I could never find the snare sound, most of the pop was in the room tracks. Anyway, great job folks! New to this forum but really enjoyed your song, where can I hear more?

We did a quick mix using their EMT140, maybe a little too wet for the current trend but we're all from the 80's. View attachment 92825

TKeefe | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Cool! Sounds great. That's the first time any of my music has been treated to a real plate reverb, that's for sure! :) What all was the plate used on? Very nice all the way around. Thanks much!

And thanks for the kind words on the song. I have another one right now called "Traffic" in the mp3 clinic, and I have two more new ones that I'm going to post in there in a few days or so.

By the way, I just checked out your stuff on soundcloud: very interesting sound! It really reminds me of that 80s pop thing, like Michael McDonald, Hall and Oates ... definitely not something you hear every day nowadays. Although, the 80s sound has definitely made a comeback recently --- that "Shut Up and Dance with Me" song sounds straight out of an 80s movie soundtrack. So maybe this is your time! :)

reminds me a little of neil finn/crowded house. An influence?

I can hear that for sure. I liked the Crowded House hits back in the day, and I've heard a bit of his solo stuff, but I'd hardly call him an influence. It's more coincidental than anything, but I can certainly hear it now that you mention it.

Back