Mix This! Who wants to mix this rock track?

except from the drums and bass these are raw files.

I got the drums and bass from the guy my band originally intended to record the song at but we never finished it. The drums were made on the computer, that's all i know

Right dunno who originally recorded this but took a quick look(was bored looking with nothing to mix) and I'm going to make some observations. mostly personal preference.

Why is every track stereo? If you mic something - 1 track per mic and appropriate names ( most names were appropriate) makes panning work flow a hell of alot easier. As if the audio information is the same on either side of the stereo track whats the point? all you do is make the mixing process frustrating as hell(for me atleast). I have to go through all the tracks and ask is this a mono source? and convert it to mono so i don't have to pan the same thing twice everytime.

The guitar tone is too similar across the tracks - If you listen to your mix or I listen to my quick mix when the three guitar parts are in play have a very similar fizzy tone this makes clarity hard to achieve at these points giving a choice of full sounding 2 guitar parts or 3 without clarity or hollow(tbf most of the time I work with guitars its only 2 parts at onetime maybe inexperience on my part ). A less harsh tone on the rhythm part maybe more sanitized with less fizz but still distorted would help all gel with clarity.

Lastly I'm not moaning(maybe a bit) or saying "bah shit" this is just my opinion and im just trying to be constructive. Ill give it a bit of a mix rescue the morn if i have time and lay out what I did and why if it interests you.

Back