Mix This! Throw That Cat Away

https://www.yousendit.com/download/bXBiTkFxeFgrV3ptcXRVag

This is just the mix of Crow's mix and the drum track. They may not even be lined up exactly. In fact the drum track is aligned a bit late. Again sorry I just rushed this out and didn't have the time to place the files in to get perfect. Just some nudging to do if anyone even wants to use them.

I will post the links to the individual drum wav files as soon as they upload. 20 min.

All drum tracks download link:

https://www.yousendit.com/download/bXBiTkFxeFgwZ2xFQmRVag

Sorry if I jacked the thread. Just thought it would be cool to have some live drums to play with.

Last edited:
Got it! I'll take the drums in account. You'll still be a contender for creative mix even if it's not the best one anyway. :)

Thanks Jimmy! I'll now post a final date tomorrow.

Hey, not trying to do anything but good here. The session drummer in here heard me play Crows' tune while taking a break and offered to play a quick beat on it.

Hey jimmy, it was just a joke. Sorry, I thought I'd been posting on here long enough that you'd have realised I wasn't the type to get pissy with this kinda thing. It's great that you got Crow some real drums!

Okay, here's my take on your tune. I've always loved remixes, so I wanted to try my hand at a remix rather than just mixing your raw tracks. I didn't know the tempo you recorded at so that limited what I originally had in mind though (should probably have just asked). Anyway, what's turned out is probably more of a re-model than a remix I guess.

It was tons of fun to do. I loved the tune when it was in the clinic, and it was really cool to see/hear how the vocal layers built up in my DAW. It could probably be polished or developed more, but I ran out of time in the end. Hope you like:

:)

Oops! I didn't see this on my email. :mad:

Thanks rob! I got it, and it's quite interesting, too :D

Cool. As I say, I ran out of time, but listening back now there are a few things about my mix that are making me wince and/or could be improved. If I get chance, I’ll update over the weekend.

Got an update in under the wire. Still not perfect, but much better than the last mix I think.

Same link as the original :)

Okay, I went past the deadline since I was out of town, but there were three genuine mixes here, and here are they placed in their respective categories.

Best Mix - BTyre

Not much in the way of creativity here. I like that little fade you had. Your levels were good and I couldn't hear an excess of compression, and that's why you won this one. :)

Favorite Mix - GT3000X

I would have chosen a winner for each one of you, but I would have announced you as the winner of my favorite mix while also secretly pegging you as the winner of the best mix. The only problem is I just think you compressed the song too much. I can hear a tiny bit of pumping. Other than that, I think the mix is great. You have incredible spacing on the vocals; I didn't even know you can make it as good as that. :D Also, I'm pretty sure I hear auto-tune on my voice, as I not only notice tone degradation, but I know I just can't sing that well, too. :laughings: That's not to say that I don't like the auto-tune. I can only really notice the tone degradation at the very end when it's only the vocals (which was an aspect I liked, by the way). I actually liked that pitches were near perfect. :D

Most Creative Mix - robgreen

This one was obvious. :) Awesome job, man. I tried to see if I could place you in another category regarding the mix itself, but it's too hard to judge because the song is so different. :D

I like how relaxed this is. I don't have much of a critique. I think maybe the snare would benefit from coming in later rather then just starting off with it, but that's entirely subjective. I really like the flute sounding thing (I would have deleted my own synth because I don't think they couple well together). Also, I feel a lot like John Lennon in that I don't like hearing my voice without reverb lol, but that's entirely on me. This was great, and I'm flattered you put a lot of effort into my song. :)

Special Thanks to Jimmy for setting up a download link and for getting a guy to record drums to it! That was awesome.

thanks crow! I really appreciate it.

it was a cool tune to mix, I liked rob's creativity as well, it's not about winning though, I just did this for fun really.

thanks crow! I really appreciate it.

it was a cool tune to mix, I liked rob's creativity as well, it's not about winning though, I just did this for fun really.

Yeah, what Ben said. It was lots of fun to work on and I really enjoyed playing around with your arrangement Crow. I loved the tune in the clinic and it caught my imagination when I loaded it into Ableton. It was cool to hear how Ben and GTX took it on as well - hearing some takes on how other folks approached the levels and balance of your tracks.

Glad you enjoyed the remix. I feel the same about my voice without verb and processing, but those vocal tracks of yours were great and there was so much cool layering and texture that I wanted to make a feature of rather than bury or smooth our among the reverb.

Thanks for putting this one up for the mixing :)

Back