Mix a rock song with blues theme...?

Good song.
I think that the lead guitar is too far back in the mix.
The vocals sound good but I found it a bit difficult to understand the lyrics. They need to be a bit clearer.
Very good song overall.

OK now this is definitely it - the final mix. ;) All feedback welcome and appreciated.

Attachments

• Everyday_Final.mp3
    5 MB · Views: 19
Well I gave this very cool tune a go, here`s my mix , what you think?

Attachments

• Everyday- Alkies Mix.mp3
    2.5 MB · Views: 23
Great song!

This was a fun song to mix. Length-wise, it was the old days: under 3 minutes. The more I listened, the more I got a kick out of the lyrics - almost Groundhog Day - the poor devil and his boring life!

Anyway, nice recording well done on that, I was able to put the faders up and it sounded great from the start. I didn't have to compress anything except for the organ, which had a cool sort of repetitive effect at the end if any of you listen that far ...

The hard part was taming the singer's voice. My mix has a zillion envelope changes on it, to try to keep it in line. I prefer that method to compression, and I think you'll hear the difference from other mixes.

Anyway, thanks for posting, I had nothing to do, no ideas of my own and intentionally didn't listen to the other posted mixes so they wouldn't affect mine.

Timbo

Attachments

• everyday.mp3
    3.2 MB · Views: 17
I've never tried mixing like this before. Only very simple stuff. And if this IS simple stuff, then really really simple stuff is all I've done before.
Mine sounds much different from what you folks have posted. What can you tell me about what you hear that's different?
View attachment Every Day.mp3

Are these the correct lyrics?

I come home to an empty apartment
Not a voice, not a sound
Make my dinner and start my computers
And hope to get online

When I'm eating my dinner, I'm watching
A comedy show on the net
When I'm done with my dinner
I take a little nap,

in the chair
Every day

After napping for twenty minutes
I drink coffee and play
I play bridge on the net with somebody
But I don't know their names

After playing I sometimes go jogging
And I do stay up late on the gone
And around nine o'clock I eat supper
And then I go to bed

Every day
Every day

I'm gonna go with best song ever written. lol!

Seriously, I think the melody speaks for itself, and the lyrics prove that in a good way. I could see this song actually being a hit because of its simple structure. I surely can't get it out of my head....

Hi.

I checked the tracks and i now see, that there was something wrong with the (what i call) pick scratch tracks. It was originals; the first scratch, the two tracks where panned far left and right, then pulled to center true the scratch. The second scratch was the opposite. From center to left/right.

That diddent transient to the export file.......do you know why...?

best regards
-einar hoiland-

I can only assume this is because the automation in your DAW will not reflect in the wav files created.

Here is the wav LINK to my last mix with harmony vocal add. I also fixed a couple things and did the panning on the scratch guitars as you mentioned.

Last edited:

Hi.

Close.....in the last corus it is:

"After playing i sometimes go jogging
and on Tuesday i play volleyball"

Rest is correct.

really deep lyrics, or........?:facepalm:

-einar-
Ps: i will listen to all the new mixes at job tomorrow.....(got to fill the day with something...;) )

Seeking - this is about it...I didn't have time to replace the drums but I did work the bass guitar and the chunk guitars. Bass may still be a little heavy but it sounds pretty good, holds the song together and kicks a bit of ass. I added an Eventide H3000 (doubler to round out the vocals) on the main vocals and also de-essed a bit. I think the mix is getting there (IMO) and would be interested in hearing what you think. I do think the wav sounds better ; if you are interested PM me and I'll send it to you.

If you want any mix details let me know and I can provide.

Its a good mix. Still slighty heavy in the bottom, but close. Drums could be more punchy too. Im having a hard time giving directions on what to do, as im the novice here and your the experts.........all i can say is listen to jimmys last version, thats close to perfect

Many thanks
-einar-

OK now this is definitely it - the final mix. ;) All feedback welcome and appreciated.

Very good...there are still some "rumbling" going on in the low-low frequences, atleast on my 2.1 work system.
Thanks for the time you have spent on it

-einar-

This was a fun song to mix. Length-wise, it was the old days: under 3 minutes. The more I listened, the more I got a kick out of the lyrics - almost Groundhog Day - the poor devil and his boring life!

Anyway, nice recording well done on that, I was able to put the faders up and it sounded great from the start. I didn't have to compress anything except for the organ, which had a cool sort of repetitive effect at the end if any of you listen that far ...

The hard part was taming the singer's voice. My mix has a zillion envelope changes on it, to try to keep it in line. I prefer that method to compression, and I think you'll hear the difference from other mixes.

Anyway, thanks for posting, I had nothing to do, no ideas of my own and intentionally didn't listen to the other posted mixes so they wouldn't affect mine.

Timbo

Hi.
Thanks for taking the time. Much appreciated
Just listen to it on my 2.1 system at work, and i can easely blow my sub with this mix....its way to heavy in the bottom.......
I think it also would bennefit from a lift in the high freq. Its a but "dull" now.

-einar-

I've never tried mixing like this before. Only very simple stuff. And if this IS simple stuff, then really really simple stuff is all I've done before.
Mine sounds much different from what you folks have posted. What can you tell me about what you hear that's different?
View attachment 82692

Hi.

Thanks.
What i hear different is:
- there are to much "meat" in the kick. it must be dryer, so that the bass can be increaed and heard.
- the voice is a bit to much "in your face"
- the pick scratch ar a bit to high.
- the snare is a bit wrong....kind of boring, for lack of better word

but many thanks for your effort.

-einar-

That's the right touch.
In some parts of the country it might have been "on Tuesday I bowl with the league"

I think your tracks are brilliant. Thanks for letting us play around with your stuff.

Hi
Thanks. And its my plessure to share with you... :-)

-einar-

Here's my mix of this great song.

I tried to make it sound like Trubadour Metal, whatever it mean.

This is my home-mastered version. Actually I prefer the unmastered version where dynamic range is about 9-12 db, but with this version I'm trying to attend to loudness war.

View attachment seeking-everyday-olli-h.mp3

Back