Mix This? Rock, challenging

brokenlightbulb

Hi Guys,

Hope I'm doing this right. I've been playing around with with this song and I can get a listenable mix but I know it can be better. I think there's like 30 tracks all together but a lot are doubles (3 mics on one guitar cab). Drums have a lot of bleed :cursing: . I did go through and manually gate the kick track to remove the snare bleed so there are two kick tracks included. Pretty much looking for the biggest sound possible.

Here's my bleh mix for an idea on reverb and stuff: https://soundcloud.com/vaterflip/haunting

Tracks (warning: wav format 1.4GB): https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e3wcs7qhbwxeppy/AABDapl7_3xiBlJLrC_8pMOTa?dl=0

Appreciate any attempts :)

If I find the time this week I'll give it a download. It sounds involved so might be outside the usual funsie time.

There's a few challenges... the shoegaze ("big") rhythm guitars are hard to keep present and yet allow other things get through in the mix. Around 1:43 and again at 2:30-2:32 there's some type of artifact in the tracks I wasn't able to find in the time I had. I suspect it's one of the guitar tracks. Maybe later. The snare had a weird resonance on it that I only quickly address by using a low cut EQ pass, but I'm sure could be more finely removed and allow the snare to have more pop after. Were the overheads panned much? I didn't sense they were. Having those with more spread would help when trying to mix the kit and give it more life in the stereo field. The hi hat could use its own dedicated mic/track. Did the best I could.

View attachment Haunting - Boogeymen Productions Mix01.mp3

Awesome job Pinky! Everything is so clear. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

I think artifacts you mentioned may be on the bass tracks. I noticed a few clicking sounds on them. We are pretty much drum recording novices hence the lowsy tracks. We used one overhead directly above and one directly to the right of the kit. Equal distances to try and keep them in phase. I think the tom mics really messed things up with excess cymbal and snare bleed.

You would need some hefty gate on the tom/snare mics to avoid the bleed. The overheads should be at a left/right position (or at least pointed so they would cover the left/right). You're getting everything else 'center' with the individual drum mics.

Last edited:
hey dude so had a crack last night. so only a few hours work.

if youre happy with it i shall adjust the mix to your requests.

Here is what I did, had around 40 minutes of free time and decided to make some mixing

What I didn't do:
Tune vocals properly (autotune only)
Catching toms through the trigger properly (since the track is has a lot of bleed and would take forever)
Automation between tracks (takes a lot of time)
quantize the instrument (especially the drums that need it badly) - also a lot of time

Back