Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mix This: Cover of 'A Long December' by Counting Crows

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Here's mine. I never heard the original or any of the other mixes of your cover until after I did my mix.

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Here's mine. I never heard the original or any of the other mixes of your cover until after I did my mix.

nice one, Boulder. didn't listen to the others either, FYI. nice air around everything. very smooth but powerful. man dude...i need to pass my mixes onto you great work

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by andrushkiwt View Post
    nice one, Boulder. didn't listen to the others either, FYI. nice air around everything. very smooth but powerful. man dude...i need to pass my mixes onto you great work
    Ha, thanks. Keeping the momentum going is a bit of a challenge with the arrangement. You should check the other mixes.

Thanks
    Thanks for the mixes BoulderSoundGuy and Toveco. It's nice to hear the different approaches different people take.

It's also interesting to see that most mixers felt like it needed something more added into the 'moment of silence' bit near the end (just before the final "And it's one more day up in the canyons..."). Maybe I misjudged that pause.

Quote Originally Posted by bouldersoundguy View Post
    Ha, thanks. Keeping the momentum going is a bit of a challenge with the arrangement...
    That's an interesting comment about the momentum.... any comments/tips/what would you have done differently?
    Did it build and fall too slowly?

I'm always looking to improve for next time.

Anyone else?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Ward View Post
    That's an interesting comment about the momentum.... any comments/tips/what would you have done differently?
    Did it build and fall too slowly?
    It was more the slow tempo and sparse arrangement. My bias for rock music probably contributed. I like mixing more upbeat stuff.

Listening back I can hear things I could improve. The vocal sits on top of the mix a bit more than I like. I think the solo could be louder, closer to the vocal level. That's why I like to leave a mix alone for a while and come back to it, it gives me perspective.

Thanks
    good song
    Last edited by creedchub; 05-14-2017 at 06:09.

Thanks
    ...It's also interesting to see that most mixers felt like it needed something more added into the 'moment of silence' bit near the end (just before the final "And it's one more day up in the canyons..."). Maybe I misjudged that pause....

I like that 'moment of silence'.

After going over it 100 times, here's my remix. Minimalist..

This is a nice song. Wish I had written it.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    ...as i get older, my equipment gets smaller
    ..if the brain was an app, would people use it?

Thanks
    You should use some pitch correction on the vocal. A song like this needs the vocal on pitch.
    I like the original, and was digging this cover until about a minute in when the pitch became too much of a problem to continue.

The cover lacks the emotion and (subtle) energy of the original. It sounds more like a Bell and Sebastian vocal than Adam Duritz. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but it was just interesting because the original is already pretty low key.

Thanks
    Hello,
    Here is my mix.

It is the first time I try to made mix which is not for a band I have known before, and for song I have never listen in live or other way.
    And if mixing is things I love, it was some miles away from my job... and not long time I try to learn it.

So please feel free to comment, I will be happy to read you and learn some things from your comments

.dropbox.com/s/pno8oqymca5c1em/Long%20December.wav?dl=0
    .dropbox.com/s/azs8qn6f7wl59a6/Long%20December.mp3?dl=0

Please copy/paste and add manually the begining of the security page from the link, it seems I was too new on the forum to be allowed to post some link.
    Or tell me if it was me who make it wrong

I take pleasure to mix this song, I do it consciously without trying to listen the original version or other ones posted here. Just too make it with free ears and free mind and do it by follow my only feelings.
    Now I can download other mix posted here, but not today, my ears was not ... but just something like tired

It take me around 10/11 hours to make this mix, don't know if this mean something for you but I like to count time, it was just one more factor to feel how I get better.

See you
    seb

Thread Information