Live mixing, 2/3 of the band now R.I.P.

Jason_S

What's up guys-

Long time lurker here, I appreciate the community. I have a live show recorded from a few years back that I would like to get mixed, possibly released non-commercially on bandcamp. I am the last of the three guys in this recording still breathing, which is odd. The songs are heavy but not metalcore, inspired more by Alice in Chains and 90's grunge, with a mix of clean and harsh vocals.

I've uploaded the eight track recording of one song, plus a reference mix by myself, but I think it could use a bit of work. Drum replacements are a possibility, and my bass playing was sloppy, so I am considering re-recording them at home. Curious to see how someone else would go with the project, so the live files *should* be fairly raw and EQ/FX free.

Any questions let me know. Have fun, and let me know what you think!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/he0joxmkdi98jlx/AAD9VpHmFWN4ixFPPvhaaLKCa?dl=0

Last edited:
Ben, Pinky thanks for the quick work! I like elements of both mixes, but would withhold judgment until I can give a proper listen (ie, not just headphones!)

A few notes:

Guitar tones were always an issue. Chris was a fan of Dimebag Darrel, and as such played through a Dime Distortion pedal. I loved Chris as a guitar player, he was super emotional about his work, but I am more of a tube distortion guy myself.

Drums I was afraid I would need to have triggered and replaced, which is time consuming. As Pinky said, a nostalgic mix shouldn't take up too much time and effort, and for that it's great that you guys were able to make drums more present in the mix as compared to my effort.

Bass, yeah, Primus inspired possibly! I'm not at that level, but I've always felt that single note bass lines weren't trying hard enough. I also tried to keep the rhythm section interesting during the solo sections, without trying to showboat and take anything away from what was the main focus.

sorry to hear about your loss I'd be really upset if I lost an exbandmate, you become like brothers in a band.

I also thought it sounded like primus quite a lot, so I purposely mixed it to sound like the brown album which is one of my favourite rock albums of all time, that's why there is fuzz on your bass :D using soundtoys decapitator in case you were wondering.

I love live mixing, but this was out of my genre. It seemed to me that the guitar in the right-hand speaker was consistently lagging behind the beat. Was the guitar track not lined up properly?

I took a few minutes to throw this together. I was going to put audience and pyro on it, but it seemed a bit much...

Jay, thanks so much for lending your creativity here. This is such an interesting way to see how different people would approach the same song!

Back