Hoping To Get My Hip-Hop Song Mixed!

zac_618

I've been recording for a few years now and I've recently been trying to learn to mix my music by myself (currently only using Logic Pro X). Having said this, I've got a buddy who makes beats and has sent me loads of beats to use for my songs. I've put together multiple songs and I'm hoping to get them mixed by someone who knows what they're doing so I can take them back to him and have concepts ready to go in order to get the 'tracked out' versions of the beats to eventually put together an EP or album.

I'm aware that mixing vocals to a pre-mixed beat limits the scope of what you are able to do but I'm hoping someone can help me get a "polished" sound for these songs I have.

I'm posting one of the songs that is in the concept stage right now to see what kind of quality is possible with what I have to work with.

Any help is appreciated immensely. :thumbs up: I'm fairly new to the forums so I apologize if I did anything wrong or if I'm not giving enough information to build on. I have the dropbox link to the files for the song and will link them here (hoping it works without issue):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uch9rdn14qaon63/AADWvF6AoiNC94p8lFzEmew2a?dl=0

I'm posting one of the songs that is in the concept stage right now to see what kind of quality is possible with what I have to work with.

The beat is in solid shape, wouldn't need that much adjustment. Vocals were captured well enough (what type of mic do you use? they could be a bit crisper...), with some adjustment (EQ, compression, reverb) they could be passable using what you have.

I wasn't going to spend any time on this for the simple fact it's a demo and in its current form fully accomplishes what it needs to. The exception likely being the limits of the mic currently being used. I wouldn't get too hung up on this, from a technical standpoint it's spoken word so it doesn't need to be recorded with a $10,000 preamp and $5,000 mic.

Once you have the tracks all set (recorded) *then* go out and find someone to spend the time to mix and master them.

I use an MXL 990 Condenser Microphone. The plan is to buy a new microphone in the next few months as I want to get a cleaner sound.

I understand you not wanting to spend time on this as it is only a demo and I do agree with you that it works perfectly fine for what it is.

Was hoping to see just how clean of a sound people might be able to get with what I have to work with, no worries though, thanks for listening!

I use an MXL 990 Condenser Microphone. The plan is to buy a new microphone in the next few months as I want to get a cleaner sound.

That might be enough mic for what you're doing. Any extra definition needed should be there and easily brought out in post production (mixing/mastering).

That might be enough mic for what you're doing. Any extra definition needed should be there and easily brought out in post production (mixing/mastering).

That's good to hear, I've been recently recording a little different than how I normally would so I'm still messing with things on that end.

Really hoping to get a project recorded and try finding someone that would be interested in mixing/mastering the project in its entirety.(By project I mean an EP essentially)

(Obviously not for free if it's a full project but I'm a college student so I don't have the means to pay a lot of money for it quite yet)!!

Hey ZAC I decided to give your song another go.

This time I gave it a little more EQ to get the vocals to sit cleaner with the music, also tightened up the previous eq and compression. I also added a little saturation to the second verse to keep the momentum building through the song.

Still would like to hear your thoughts.
https://soundcloud.com/user-2198274/zac618

i haven't been working with audio for a long time, but here's what i did quickly

Attachments

• mi22.mp3
    7.7 MB · Views: 14
I've been away from the forum for a while and I apologize! But thank you to everyone who mixed the song it's awesome hearing everyone's different spins on the same things! Thank you and everyone keep up the great work!

Back