Anyone up for a challenge ?

wizardof7

Hey hows it going again all . I was wondering if anyone would be up for a little challenge . I posted a song called Masquerade recently in the mp3 clinic , and I love all the comments and helpful tips I received . But the challenge would be to enhance the vocal track . I will say its a pretty awful recording .It has clips and distortion ,as well tracked on a terrible mic . As much as I have tried I can't seem to get it much better . . Just see what you can do . I would hope you could tell me what you used . I have the tune posted here . I can post an mp3 but was thinking whats the point of trying to enhance that . lol Here is the dropbox link . And thanks in advance !!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0biepx505axv0mo/vocal%20track.wav?dl=0

Hey Wizardof7,

I worked on your vocal track a bit just quickly. I used a declipper plugin and also put a gate on it to remove some of the background noise. I also put some compression on it. Of course it's difficult to know how much processing to do without the rest of the song. Anyways, see what you think. I'm sorry for the random muting of the audio. The declipper plugin I was using was only a demo version and inserts random silence.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0ByKphGyoZlm0NXpjN19vRE1IZnc?usp=sharing

Thanks gonna check it out . I thought I put a link to the tune . Really appreciate your efforts ! I will post the tune for you !!

Hey it sounds great fits into the mix WAY better !! What clipper is that ? Compressor ? its great work thanks !! Just wanting to learn from this . I really appreciate it :)

I personally would never try to edit one vocal track without the mix at hand.

I did hunt down your post of 'Masquerade' and first off I found the vocals needing appropriate eq and compression to sit in the mix right. The vocal was 'boxy' and really needs some 'special sauce'. Way way to much reverb on that mix. I understand trying to hide the shitty tone but that was totally overkill IMO. I will not BS you.

Really cool tho. The performance is good but just not working with the mix.

Can you send all of the tracks? Or at least a mix of the music and a separate vocal in time. That would likely be easier for others to fuck with.

masquerade without vocals

Hey there , I made an mp3 of the backing for this tune . I have kinda reworked it making stems for the drums, guitar bus , solo bus , and bass . definitely a lot less verb . I can post stems on my dropbox and give you the link if you like . The guitars are DI using lepou amp sims . Bass is the same ( acoustic bass run through a ronald passion bass amp sim) gotta work with what I have . I have kinda shitty monitors so the low end is hard to manage . Working on getting some new ones . And really I take all your advise as very useful . Thanks !!

Attachments

• masquerademp3.mp3
    5.7 MB · Views: 23
No vocal in the stems. And the other link doesn't line up with the stems.

:(

Attachments

• Masquerade Screenshot.PNG
    Masquerade Screenshot.PNG
    52.6 KB · Views: 20
Hey Wizardof7,

Glad you liked it! The declipper I used was called ReLife made by Terry West Productions. It's pretty simple. I used the ReaPlugs ReaGate (noise gate), gating below -30dB. I also added a touch of EQ with the RePlugs ReaEQ, rolling off everything below 100Hz. and cutting 2dB at about 500Hz. I used the ReaPlugs ReComp (compressor), Attack: 1ms Release: 91ms Ratio: 3:1 Thresh: -27dB Wet Mix: +3dB.

Hopefully this helps!

Wow. He really did just sing that into his laptop didn't he?

I cleaned it up a bit with fft, a gate, some manual editing, and an HPF. I added a second, strong HPF for the most egregious plosives.

There were a few clips I couldn't really address, and I hacked around on the wail at the end, but the fact that he moved away from the mic right then just makes it not worth the effort to try to fix! :D

I've attached the resultant mp3 as well as the reaper project so you can browse what I did if you want. (Fun factoid, Reaper project files ARE actually plain text. You can edit them in any text editor if you really want to!)

View attachment masquerade vox.rpp.txtView attachment masquerade vox.mp3

Yeah the vocal track was recorded in florida . I am in denver .lol I had to cut it up to get it to fit .I just ran into a major issue with waves super tap delay plugin i just installed ... uhg It made almost all of my plugins disappear . Must be the that damned waveshell . They work on 64bit .I usually record everything on 32 bit cause some of my plugs don't work in 64 . I love their products but its always such an ass pain to get everything working .... Got my work cut out for me today .lol I really appreciate your help and advise !!

Yeah the vocal track was recorded in florida . I am in denver .lol I had to cut it up to get it to fit .I just ran into a major issue with waves super tap delay plugin i just installed ... uhg It made almost all of my plugins disappear . Must be the that damned waveshell . They work on 64bit .I usually record everything on 32 bit cause some of my plugs don't work in 64 . I love their products but its always such an ass pain to get everything working .... Got my work cut out for me today .lol I really appreciate your help and advise !!

Um, you are in Denver? Get your ass over here then and we can put our heads together in person.

PM me dood.

Here´s my go at the stems. The drums programming could be better imho, cymbal hits are to hot and the volume of the ride is to low. Panning of the rythm guitar´s is to narrow, bass guitar lacks definition...

Here´s my go at the stems. The drums programming could be better imho, cymbal hits are to hot and the volume of the ride is to low. Panning of the rythm guitar´s is to narrow, bass guitar lacks definition...

Yeah , basically he sent me a track that really just had the same beat through the whole thing . I am really not a drummer .lol I do have the individual guitar stems . Just kinda of a fun project t do .Learned a lot in the process . Bass guitar was an acoustic bass just run through a bass amp sim .Certainly not ideal, Just kinda had to work with what was here at the time . But I did like your mix . everything sounded just a little thin though . Vocal track was out of time . I chopped it up a bit to make the synchronization better .But thank you for checking it out !!

Back