5.1 Help?

Edisonbaggins

Hello, I'm inquiring as to whether anybody here is willing or eager to try out surround mixing.
I have some multi tracks for original songs.
Stereo mixes would be fine too, but that isn't my emphasis. Most of my songs already have working stereo mixes.

I am a beginning mixer myself, but would like others to try mixes with my material in the possibly looooong space of time it will take to learn.

:)

Thank you!

Troll.

:p

Welcome (back?) to the forum Mike. :)

I'd offer to help but only have 2 channel playback in my studio right now. Someday when I'm old and grey, having the larger space to do it in I'll be doing 5.1 mixing.

Lol - thanks, Kevin. I'm not sure if I have posted in the past. I've lurked a lot. I just got a birthday gram from the board, which reminded me that I've meant to post about 5.1.
I know we've discussed surround recently and it isn't where you're at right this second.
FWIW, I was able to find a Kenwood receiver + the 6 5.1 speakers with analog ins that can suffice as a 5.1 monitoring system for <$100.
I'm using the 5.1 outs from my motherboard.
For a DAW I'm using Sonar Platinum.
So, it isn't terribly expensive to get up and running jerry-rig style.
I *should* be able to experiment with 5.1 with this setup. Its just who knows how long it will take to mix anything satisfying. I figure if there is someone around here who would like to experiment, but doesn't have the multi-track material, it's a win-win.

You may end up with a lot of latency with Sonar using onboard sound. Issue for me would be finding a suitable 5.1 output sound device for my PC.

Back