Worst sounding Cd's ever

Well, it's one for the money.....

Bad live albums that jump immediately to mind:

Two For The Show, Kansas. Oh man, I bought this at age 13 when I was just getting deep into my progressive rock phase, mistaking it for a Kansas studio album. Dear God, this shit is pieced together. And the version of "Carry On Wayward Son"....eh, not so hot.
Only recently did I work out that the title of this album is from Carl Perkins'/Elvis Presley's "Blue Suede Shoes !
I think the version of "Carry on Wayward son" on it is fantastic, the way it segues in from "Portrait". I also love "Magnum opus", "Journey from Mariabronn", " Lamplight symphony", "The wall", "Lonely wind", and "Song for America" but the other versions pale when set against their studio counterparts.
But it's really badly recorded or mastered or mixed. Dave Hope's bass is thin and weedy with no bottom punch at all. The rest of the instruments are better but not great. But I just love some of the album.

In terms of actual CDs, I bought "Volume 4" by Black Sabbath back in '95, having owned the LP some years before. It was one of the first Cds I'd owned having once had the actual record. It was really thin and brittle sounding whereas the Sabs circa '70-'73 always sounded thick and warm and a little boomy. Good boomy though. So years later when I encountered the vinyl vs CD/analog vs digital debate, I could see why so many felt that CDs lacked warmth. They did. They've gotten much better in the years since.
I absolutely hated the redone "Yellow Submarine" Lp though that, in my mind, would have been a crapshoot whether it was on CD or vinyl. And Donald Byrd's "Ethiopian Nights" left alot to be desired. It was also a remix and so annoying. On the record, the track "Jamie" segues beautifully into "The Little Rasti" and it's such a glorious change of pace from funky jazz fusion jam involving some 8 instruments into an almost hymn like organ and trumpet led dirge. The CD omits this and "Jamie" has a faded end while "Rasti" has a full start. It's infuriating !

But [Kansas' Two For The Show] is really badly recorded or mastered or mixed. Dave Hope's bass is thin and weedy with no bottom punch at all. The rest of the instruments are better but not great.

Yeah, the sound quality is blehccgh. I suppose Carry On isn't so bad....I was just so shocked at its difference from the studio version. The lack of the harmonized vocal intro saddened me deeply. But I admire their ingenuity nonetheless.

Yeah, the sound quality is blehccgh. I suppose Carry On isn't so bad....I was just so shocked at its difference from the studio version. The lack of the harmonized vocal intro saddened me deeply. But I admire their ingenuity nonetheless.
If I had been been really au fait with the studio version first, I'd absolutely agree with you on that. I did hear the studio one first, a few years before actually. But it was on a tape my Dad used to test out his new stereo (they called it a music centre back in the 70s :eek:) so I only heard it haphazardly and it was the riff I tended to notice.

MUCH of the material from "The Jayhawks" is so overloaded and distorted that I can't listen to it. Great music, crap mastering. If you look at the waveforms of many of their songs the overload and clipping is perfectly obvious. Makes me want to barf just lisening to it. :( I sent the label an email with my comments on one of the Jayhawks cd's and they sent me a replacement (just as bad) and another freebe from another one of their artists (Tim O'Reagan, a sometimes Jayhawks member ) that was just as bad also. This is a soundwave of "Save it for a Rainy Day" from the CD "Rainy Day Music". Notice it's clipped where I stopped playback and throughout the song.

126590143.jpg

Last edited:
Of those on your various lists (not remastered old goodies):

1. Californication
2. Death Magnetic
3. Stadium Arcadium
4. Jayhawks various releases.

all have something in common. What could that be? ;)

It's really hard to say but....When I first heard Tommy Bolins *Private Eyes* I thought every album by everyone else sucked.
Even now if you are to listen to it you would swear that it was recorded yesterday. Very advanced sound for the times--30+ years ago.
The album I think he released before that "Teaser" had some great music on it, but was thin sounding. I have both on vinyl and cd. Also like his work on Billy Cobham "Spectrum"

One that just came out that getting slagged is:

"The Wild Trapeze"
Brandon Boyd
http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-wild-trapeze/id379270849?cid=WWW-NAUS-HTNWS-FEATURED-PROMO

off the top of my head i would say Pearl Jams vs. Also the Stone Temple Pilots album with the star on it. Whatever it's called. it's awful.

And any remastered stuff they got right the first time.:D

Maybe you all with the excellent ears can listen to the Papa Roach, Getting Away with Murder album. Correct me if I am wrong but the whole thing just sounds like pure crap. The guitars are all overly distorted with no definition and i don't know it might just be my room. Would like to hear anyone elses opinion to see if it is just my listening environment. It don't sound to bad on the radio so I don't know. Also the whole damn album by Metallica with the St. Anger song is pure crap.

Trump

After "Justice", Metallica displayed no hesitancy in releasing crap. I wish they would have protected their legacy, instead of diluting it to insignificant poop.

That's a pretty good looking waveform compared to most of the waveforms nowadays!

187631323_7a2357d68c_o4aa2.jpg

Wow... that's just horribly ugly. I can't even bear to listen to the Jayhawks stuff since it distorts so much. If I listened to that I'd probably barf.

By the way, the thing in common in the list I posted above is "Rick Rubin". He should not be allowed near any music production.

Every CD I could think of is just a CD I don't care for in the first place, and CD's I love, I think I'm apt to overlook any mastering flaws, like the much-maligned AJFA. I love the songs, so I never thought about the mastering too much.

All I could think of from a CD I actually like was Graceland, which I love, but I hate the snare drum on most tracks. Probably more of an engineering thing than a mastering thing.

After "Justice", Metallica displayed no hesitancy in releasing crap. I wish they would have protected their legacy, instead of diluting it to insignificant poop.

Urg, seriously, why do people post this shit? I mean, yeah, maybe you're a thrash fan, but Black Album and Death Magnetic are good music. Good thrash? No, but I don't really care for thrash that much (Metallica's early stuff is about as far as I get into it) but those albums are just solid pieces of work.

Imagine someone who likes fast paced proto-punk who adored the Who but after Tommy came out, all bets were off. Quadrophenia was the worst of them all. Seriously. People just need to get over themselves sometimes.

King Diamond "Them"

374.jpg

You either like his voice or you don't. Putting all that aside for a moment, the album is written to tell a horror story, but unfortunately the horror comes out in the mix.

It's a shame because it's a good solid album if you like KD, but something went wrong - over compression or flat EQ? - The worst is the drums - it sound's like it had skins made of butchers paper!

I don't really think the album as a whole is bad, but Slipknot's "Duality" is WAY too compressed. You can hear the cymbals and the guitars battling.

Attachments

• Duality.jpg
    Duality.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 276
By the way, the thing in common in the list I posted above is "Rick Rubin". He should not be allowed near any music production.

I agree except for those Johnny Cash albums. I thought they showed tremendous restraint.

Back