who can help me clean up a recording (heavy noise)

atvans

dear tec guys & girls,
i need help clearing an audio recording of noise.
talking about a telefon interview here, unfortunately the dryer was running.
conversation is 1h 25min long.
i can send an mp3 sample. anybody who can get me a clear understandable signal of the voice... we can talk about a reward -send via paypal.
please help me!

If it's a dryer it's probably going to be impossible to fix since it's most likely uncontrolled broadband noise. If it's a telephone conversation it's going to be even harder because it's band limited. Therefore you'll be playing in the range that telephones are meant to reproduce - voice.

You might be able to gate or edit the dryer out while applying some upward expansion combined with limiting (or compression) to bring the overall noise floor down, but I would wager you're up shit's creek here bud.

There are other tools like spectral editors (Algorithmix ReNovator, Cedar, Wavelab, etc), but even that's a long shot, IMO.

Cheers :)

call Jeff Lynne, he did the Lennon scratchy noisy cassette track into a decent recording posthumous..

seriously, I wonder if you can put a 11 band eq or 30 and find something ...it'll probably sound bandlimited when done, but that could be better than a dryer.

post up the mp3

Since it has been 5 days since the OP posed the question, it does not seem he will be back. Too bad, he might have had some results if he bothered to post a sample.

Like sands through the hourglass...

"We can fix it in post" is becoming a 21st century lie right up there rivalling "the cheque is in the post" and "I promise I won't come in your mouth".

I mean, what's so hard about paying attention to the sound when you're recording it, not when you play it back and realise you have a problem. Oh yeah, I forgot. If you camera has a built in mic it must be good enough for everything, right?

Seriously, I'm another who might have had a go at it if he'd posted a sample but c'est la vie!

I'd have to have the track. You might (the operative word) be able to treat the dryer sound as a noise object and get rid of most of it. However, the results will be iffy at best.

Back