What's the point of an ISRC code on a CD?

Armistice

Son of Yoda
As it turns out I had a typo in one of my ISRC codes in the CD currently being knocked up in a replication plant somewhere....

I put UA instead of AU at the beginning for the country code on one song. Noticed it yesterday. I asked the company whether I could submit a corrected cue file, but I suspect the guy I'm talking to is in sales, and doesn't actually know all that much about it... anyway he said we could start the process all again at hundreds of dollars extra, but that really it didn't matter much...

Seemed to me like he didn't want to find out and was taking the easy option, but I don't know that much about it either. Anyway, on his say so I've just kept the process going on the theory that it doesn't matter much.

So in setting the tunes up for digital distribution via CDBaby I've entered the codes CORRECTLY but it just has me wondering... what is the consequence of having a single ISRC code incorrect on the actual replicated CD? I'm still not entirely sure what they're for in the first place... :eek:

And I've worked out that Gracenote doesn't use them either.... will some obscure band in the United Arab emirates (UA) be getting the $0.10 worth of royalties my song might earn?

I don't know how royalties work in AU but in UK PRS don't even ask for the ISRC codes.
Whether the broadcaster uses them to identify you, I don't know for certain.

Our first record and no codes and the second had codes - Royalty payments have been hit and miss across both records.

I always figured gracenote do use them since our first record isn't iTunes recognised but the second is. Maybe there's another reason for that?

How helpful, right? :p

I don't know how royalties work in AU but in UK PRS don't even ask for the ISRC codes.
Whether the broadcaster uses them to identify you, I don't know for certain.

Our first record and no codes and the second had codes - Royalty payments have been hit and miss across both records.

I always figured gracenote do use them since our first record isn't iTunes recognised but the second is. Maybe there's another reason for that?

How helpful, right? :p

Yeah, I can't work it out. BTW I'm pretty sure you can upload your own CD to Gracenote and from that info it'll be recognised in iTunes in future, seeing that's the database they use - there's a page on their (Gracenote) website telling you how. I also read somehwere else that it uses track times and numbers of tracks on the CD - sort of explains why you sometimes get offered really weird matches - but not ISRC codes..:thumbs up:

Which is sort of what I'm trying to work out... what, on a CD, is it for? :confused:

Isn't everyone over there already rich?

I had a discussion on this while I was in India over Christmas / new year, I was having a chi with the local shopkeepers and that were saying how in Australia we earn a lot of money, then I pointed out to them that the cost of living is also very high, for example buying a ticket to park for 1 hour in town = 1 days pay for a lot of indians. What I pay in council rates and water rates would probably buy a house in India. A few $ in India goes a long way but in my country it goes nowhere, which is why we can afford to go to India for holidays.

I was not saying that our quality of life is not better, I was pointing out that the roads are not paved with gold. Article. We have a new breed of the working poor.

Alan.

I had a discussion on this while I was in India over Christmas / new year, I was having a chi with the local shopkeepers and that were saying how in Australia we earn a lot of money, then I pointed out to them that the cost of living is also very high, for example buying a ticket to park for 1 hour in town = 1 days pay for a lot of indians. What I pay in council rates and water rates would probably buy a house in India. A few $ in India goes a long way but in my country it goes nowhere, which is why we can afford to go to India for holidays.

I was not saying that our quality of life is not better, I was pointing out that the roads are not paved with gold. Article. We have a new breed of the working poor.

Alan.

What in the arab fucking winter are you talking about? Lol. I didn't mean Australians are rich. You guys eat kangaroos and make clothes out of koala hides. I'm talking about United Arab Emirates.

What in the arab fucking winter are you talking about? Lol. I didn't mean Australians are rich. You guys eat kangaroos and make clothes out of koala hides. I'm talking about United Arab Emirates.

Opps :laughings: Must be the heat we have been having.

500x_trainwreck.jpg

Alan.

try living in london if you think australia is expensive!

try living in london if you think australia is expensive!

Not the whole of Australia, it's that our city has taken off cost wise due to the mining boom and 1000's of people a week moving here, not everyone works for mining companies on big money so some are left behind.

By the way London is my favourite city in the world and I am overdue a visit.

Alan.

LOL - kangaroo is very tasty... just hard to catch.

Yeah, in Western Australia full time park rangers live in tents in the bush because the rents went through the roof once mining companies brought their fly in workers etc.
the miners make terriffic money but everything costs so much that they aren't making much in take home pay and the locals can't afford to be locals any more.
Oh, and on the international nexus Sydney is dearer to live in than London. You should try to live with the bus and rail fares on the Public Transport system - it's almost as bad as the private bus network! Costs me $10 for a 15 minute bus to trip to work & back again.
kangaroo - yeah, lean and needs to be cooked quickly or very, very slowly as there's no fat & the muscles fibres are powerful things.
We eat both animals on our coat of arms - wonder if anyone else can claim that!

Back