Vst clipping/distorting on mixdown

davecg321

From 3:37 and any other places where the piano is played alone I am hearing distortion /clipping of some kind. Please start the song from 40's in as I need to edit/sync the beginning to video.

Nothing clips in my daw and there are no intersample peaks occurring at mastering stage. Note also that this clipping/distortion is happening on one of the most subtle/quietest parts of the song. The distortion is only noticeable on playback on phones, stereo, car stereo etc...

Bear with me whilst I work out how to upload said mp3 ;) i can't find 'manage post' link..? I am using an android phone.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzDFJeF9FvdWTlJnMTdCQ3lEMWc/view?usp=drivesdk

Any idea what this might be as it's really bugging me...?

I do hear a slight distortion after 3:48 on the many of the higher single notes that seem to have a more aggressive attack but I can't really say what the cause might be. It's very slight but it's there. Tell us more details about the VST and the track settings etc.

This sound does not occur if I mixdown without mastering plugs. Which leads me to believe I'm pushing the limiter to hard for this style of music. Should I raise the overall levels of all my tracks? Thus not pushing things to hard at mastering?

This sound does not occur if I mixdown without mastering plugs. Which leads me to believe I'm pushing the limiter to hard for this style of music. Should I raise the overall levels of all my tracks? Thus not pushing things to hard at mastering?

That won't likely help, and if you push the tracks too hard you'll just reach your limits faster.

What plugin(s) are you using for mastering? Maybe you need to address the mastering chain and rebuild from the ground up? Even without knowing what you're using, one thing to check for right away is the input and output side of each VST in that chain, make sure you don't have it pulling too much of a signal at each stage, otherwise it might overdrive at the input side especially.

Back