Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Volume question

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyAmato View Post
    I hate the loudness wars. I'll finish what I think is a good sounding mix, then after I tweak the limiters on the master bus, now it's kind of squashed and doesn't sound as good. Sure it's louder and might still sound great, but it sounded better beforehand.
    Exactly!!!!! My mixes always seem to need just enough boost.......if I want them to be somehow acceptably loud........to make them sound too different from how I mixed them to start with. I've read a number of posts.....articles......and watched videos. I must have something wrong with some part of my brain because......for some reason.......I can't understand what I'm doing wrong. My results are better than they were a long time ago.........but not loud enough still. Since my work is mostly not meant for commercial use.......and I have no problem volume matching a collection / album.......for my own use.......I'm not going to go crazy over the volume.
    Just A Song Writer..........

Thanks
    Great thread and I will be back when I get into mastering. I will say much of this does not make sense to me, the db levels your talking about. I have all of the Waves volume maximizers and you can make things about as loud as you want with them with out distorting anything by squashing the heck out of the whole mix. Some of mine were louder than store bought cd's so I had to back off. I am starting to look at areas where I am over doing the volume thing. Again where a little is good a lot might not be great. I've had some mixes where the Durough meters were kicking overs all over the place in the sum/diff mode but nothing was distorting, Also the the virtual plugin VU meter after the volume maximizer was slammed and pegged all the way to the right but nothing was distorted. I don't understand this. In the analog days if I did this I would be cussing and replacing all my tweeters.

Thanks
    One of the things that digital does better than analog is "lookahead". This allows these plugin limiters to see a peak coming and start turning down before it happens and just slow down the gain reduction so that it sounds less like distortion.

Thanks
    Did an experiment this weekend to see how a finished store bought professional cd would look in my DAW. Sony edit Pro has a feature called extract audio from cd. It allows you to pull audio off of a cd in .wav format then place it on a track in your project. I used Jo Dee Messina's Your Not In Kansas Anymore. I really like her. Anyway I pulled the audio off the cd. Placed it on a new track on the timeline and WOW. Zero on the track fader is zero exactly on the master buss. Squashed to the point that the wave form looks entirely square and filled the track timeline space completely yet the sound was spacious. Big not so squashed. Boy do I have a long way to go. My mixes are all over the place when I do this exact same thing. Tones don't always match and volumes are not consistent.

Thread Information