Volume matching reference tracks not working in Cubase

Robertt8

Hey guys!

*I added the actually examples as links to the bottom of this message*

I'm having an issue getting my tracks to match my references in volume.

I've done it two ways and I always get the same results...

1. I create a new bus to put my reference track on
2. I use Magic AB on my stereo bus to compare tracks

I always get the same thing... I end up with my track super loud compared to the reference. I can A/B between them in Cubase and it sounds super close. When I slap the track on my iPhone (volume matching turned off on my phone) and compare my track to the reference track, my freakin' track is WAY louder.

Is there a reason for this?

Obviously I can just (my shitty version of) Master it quieter, but it would be nice for this to not be such an odd issue.

Suggestions?

***Hey guys. I thought I'd just post the damn things. I'm starting to wonder if they are similar and the iPhone might be responsible. I don't know...it's kind of making me nutty. Can you check relative volumes quickly...don't need to listen to whole tracks or anything... "STAND UP J-11B" is my track and "01 Blame it on Me" is the track I'm trying to get close to. Any outside ears would be sweet.

View attachment Stand Up J-11b.mp3
View attachment 01 Blame It on Me.mp3

Last edited:
I have no idea what magic AB does, but here is how I do it.

Add a group channel. Send your entire mix to the group channel. Insert all your mastering processing on this group channel, not the master bus.

Add a stereo track and put the reference track on it. The output of this track should go right to the main bus.

Mute the stereo track.

Now just hit 'solo' on the reference track to hear it.

Of course the best way to do it would be to get a meter that measures the rims level and just measure that.

Thanks Fairview, but that is actually the method I use in #1.

I get them to sound almost perfectly even, save it out and it sounds way too loud.

I added the tracks I'm using as an example in my initial thread if you have a second to compare. thanks!

Have you tried adding a second stereo output, but sending it to the same physical outputs on your interface, then repeating the steps mentioned above but sending the reference tracks to the second stereo output?

Might not make a difference but it eliminates any processing/fader movement on the stereo output as a possible cause.

Well I'm using two different ways to do it and still getting the same results. did you get a chance to hear the attached tracks above?

It really doesn't sound like the volume of one is much different than the other. Stand up is a much denser mix, while the other one has the vocals way out front and the music pretty buried.

If you have any EQ taking out the midrange on your playback system, that could really affect the perceived volume of the two tracks, since they really aren't the same sort of thing.

You really aren't comparing apples to apples with these two songs.

thanks for the listing Fairview...I'm really starting to think it's my iTunes on my phone. burning CD now (through tunes...probably bad idea) and will check.

burning the CD proved that the songs were very similar in volume. some crazy shit must be going on with my iPhone iTunes.

burning the CD proved that the songs were very similar in volume. some crazy shit must be going on with my iPhone iTunes.

Have you made sure that SoundCheck (automatic volume adjustment) is disabled in iTunes on your phone?

edit: should be somewhere in the settings menu in the app

Someone else listen to the samples. They seem relatively matched to me.

I really think it's a playback issue, not a Cubase one.

Quick check in Wavelab this morning:

Blame it on Me: -7.1LUFS (+15.9LU) integrated, TP: +0.233dB
Stand Up: -8.9LUFS (+14.1LU) integrated, TP: +0.25dB

"Blame it on Me" is a couple of dB louder over the entire track. Both tracks are mastered quite loud.

Back