volume....clarity?

Bob K.

I'm really liking the tascam neo, but like other folks we're not happy with the overall volume, and at times the high end clarity. So has anyone used Audacity to boost volume and clarity?

Hey Bob..........this is a topic that has come up before when discussing Tascam digital recorders. I use a DP-24 myself. As for volume level........you could use Audacity to add volume but that might not get you where you want to go. If you're going to stick with the Tascam my suggestion would be to download Reaper (free and excellent DAW) and use that to export your master tracks or individual tracks from the Tascam for processing. That will allow you to use some great tools like limiters and compressors and many other excellent plug-ins to not only increase the volume of your Tascam masters or tracks.........but many other types of processing as well. I often bring tracks back and forth between Tascam and Reaper. One thing to remember before you export to Reaper........you might not want to apply any mastering effects.......especially normalization while creating a master track on your Tascam. Leave the levels and wav form as they are and use the DAW to apply further processing. Some here..........and logically so........would say then go ahead and use Reaper from the start to do all your recording. You certainly could. But........if you're like myself and some others here........we like the tactile and fast and easy response of the Tascam keys/ buttons. In other words........we're still a little old school. It's just a personal thing. As for upper frequency reproduction on the Tascam.........I don't see an issue with it not being accurate. I have heard some say that. In any case..........bottom line......give Reaper a try.

Last edited:
Thank you so much....I'm definitely going to try the reaper download. And yes...I still like the slide controls...Thanks for the quick response and.... Happy New year ! ?

Ok....Reaper is really cool. Didn't take long to get my tascam neos' master's to sound really good....but it's easy to over do it. So many effects to choose from. I tried downloading the separate tracks from the neo to reaper....I found downloading the master track easier and better.thanks for recommending Reaper......the song is a little hot on the high end but....it's my first try with Reaper ( Bob Koestel ..on you tube)..anybody thinking about going to reaper...it works great on my Windows 7......try it.

Back