Vocals don't seem to fit in Mix, example included

jaeyshawwn

Ughhh I'm pretty sure this is an ongoing question. I included a song I am working on that still don't seem to fit into the mix properly. It may just be because its my project and I'm being really critical. But I included it. Any tips on making it stand out a little better?

Last edited:
Hi there,

The whole mix is lacking low end. I think this might be the root of your problem.
Having a guess, is your system really bass heavy? That would lead you to cut it away and turn it down in the mix, if you weren't aware of the problem.

Try comparing your mix to some commercially released, similar, tracks.
Even if they sound too bassy or too anything, you can put more trust into them than you can your own home monitoring setup.

Yeah. Uh. If you're going to bend those notes, then at least make them on pitch. You're ending on a note that isn't in scale, and it sounds awkward. Personally, I'd ditch the whole note bend thing, but, whatever.

Setting a proper pre-delay on the reverb, along with minimal EQ and slight compression, should be all that's really needed. Other techniques can be cool and can add something extra, but those are the big 3 for vocals. If something isn't sounding right with the vocal, as far its place in the mix, then start there. Pre-delay times are usually in the 70-100 ms range, but there are ppl who use times outside that area.

I think the issue is more the vocal performance than the processing, for whatever that's worth. I'd edit out the excessive lip smacks and hesitations. They don't add anything but a sense of amateurism.

I'm a newbie to home recording, but at first listen: I believe the tone and volume on the guitar is marvelous if you were playing a solo acoustic piece, but as the guitar is there in a supportive part, it is overwhelming the ear with the bassiness of the guitar. I once heard some individual track recordings Jimmy Page had recorded. When the whole mix was there it was perfect and then someone isolated Jimmy's part. It was the weakest, anemic sounding guitar part I could imagine; but it was doing what was necessary for that song.

Back