Verbatim CD-R for burning a Master?

I believe Grade-A discs are "Medical Grade".

You can check them out here : Medgrade: Media:CD-R/DVD/MedCaddies CD

The A grading isn't the same for all CDs. Each batch is inspected with the A grade given to the discs with the fewest (or no) imperfections or quality issues - but still clock in at or above specified requirements.

Thanks but my specific question are the Verbatim CDR above suitable for burning a Master or do I need to purchase something else? I'm in France so the site you sent me is not possible.

Can't be that as the CD press people said especially NO Gold disks. I did read this = A-Grade CD-Rs. What does this really mean?
CD Duplication on September 29th, 2011
Nowadays, A-grade CD’s seem the norm. In the early days of disc manufacturing, it was reported that many factories purposely mixed A, B, and C grade cd’s together – to ensure the unit prices were kept as low as possible. The top grade discs were usually reserved for industrial use instead of personal home use. These discs were known as medical grade, and were perceived as too expensive for the average user.

However with rapid advances in technology and ever lower production costs, every computer soon came with a CD burner, and CD’s became the most popular format of blank media. It wasn’t before long that we began to learn about disc rot and realised these cheap poor production discs were not lasting long.

The demand for better quality CD discs became much higher, hence now the A-grade discs were kept separate to sell as an A-grade pack. The grades are determined arbitrarily by manufacturers, as long as each CD-r disc has passed the ‘Philips quality requirements’. These requirements involve the discs being optically scanned for defects such as bubbles and black or white spots. After scanning, the least defected discs that pass will receive the manufactures a-grade classification.

Unfortunately this does means that each brands A-grade discs will vary in quality. For this reason, we at Disc Factory compared various brands of A-Grade blank media, to ensure that we found a brand that we can rely on to keep their standards high. As we discovered not all manufacturers A-grade discs are not always seen as A-grade to ourselves or our customers meaning that despite claiming A-Grade shortrun CD Duplication some companies may not be offering the best media to customers.

---------- Update ----------

So the question again are the Verbatim CD-R I posted at the beginning suitable for burning a Master?

If they are so picky...why don't you just ask them to tell you the brand/type of CD-R to get that is acceptable to them...? :)

True they are a pain. But tell me have any one of you burnt a Master CD for 500 cds to be produced with the Verbatim CD I posted? If so I'll trust you.

Of course but you are a much LARGER community and maybe one of you have used the Verbatim disks before?

The only recordable optical media factory that made real good CDR's an DVDR's, was Taiyo Yuden in Japan.

It's gone. It was next to Fukushima. It's a lettuce growing plant today.

I use standard Verbatim. It's the only brand over here with consistent quality and decent pricing. My computer archive from some 25 years is on CDR's and DVD's. Haven't lost one disc. We used to make lots of disks for pressing. Never been told not to use "gold" disks. Never had problems with compatibility. And those were "multimedia" disks, containing video, audio, Mac and Windows software parts. Most of them worked on CD/DVD players too. Only for the related part, of course.

However, the last few years, I use harddisks. So I don't burn opticals as often as I used to. The first HD has already died after some 12 years. Fortunately, it's twin still works.

Of course but you are a much LARGER community and maybe one of you have used the Verbatim disks before?

I get your point...but your disc printing company was very specific about using a "Grade A"...so don't you think asking them directly "What brand/type do you guys recommend?" would make more sense than asking here what other people have used in the past...???

If they are that picky, I would only use the ones THEY recommend, otherwise, it will really be a PITA if they reject the CD-R you decided to use based on general opinions.

Is there some reason you don't wish to ask them directly...? :confused:

That said...I don't know why they are so picky...they should accept any CD-R that meets the minimum error rates, etc....because Grade A or not, your burner is equally involved in making the CD-R that you send...and the burner can generate errors too, not just the media.

It may be a RIPOFF. Here is the answer they gave me : bonjour,

Vous n’en trouverez pas dans le commerce car c’est rare qu’un magasin vende ce genre de produit, seul les studios professionnels disposent de CD spéciaux pour les master.

Sinon, vous avez la possibilité de nous faire parvenir les fichiers audio pour que nous réalisons le master de pressage voir ici ainsi pas besoin de faire un CD audio au format Redbook.

Cordialement

le service Online

TRANSLATION :
You will not find these kind of disks in stores, rare that any store sells this kind of product, only professional studios have these special kind of Cds to make masters.

Otherwise, you have the possibility to send us the audio files and we will make a master for you.

- End of translation -

Cost is 80 euros par disk. I think I'm just going to do that I'm getting sick of adding the codes and all...

The only recordable optical media factory that made real good CDR's an DVDR's, was Taiyo Yuden in Japan.

I have two *cases* of Taiyo Yuden CD-Rs, in jewel cases, sitting in a closet.
Don't recall how many in each case...but it's probably 120 or more.

I bought them about 10 years ago...maybe even 15.
One of these days I'll break open a case and use them... :D ...but I have high-grade Sony CD-D and DVD-R discs when I actually need to burn some...which is rare these days.

TRANSLATION :
You will not find these kind of disks in stores, rare that any store sells this kind of product, only professional studios have these special kind of Cds to make masters.

Otherwise, you have the possibility to send us the audio files and we will make a master for you.

- End of translation -

Cost is 80 euros par disk. I think I'm just going to do that I'm getting sick of adding the codes and all...

And TBH....many people these days do just that...they send the master files and not a burned discs...because the CD printing company would only end up taking the files off your burned disc anyway.
IOW...(if they are doing it the correct/best way), they are stamping/printing your 500 CDs...and not just duplicating your burned CD that you send.
To do that, they need to first create the master stamper CD...and that would NOT be the one you sent them.

That's the other thing when you as a lot of musicians what they use...very few of them have ever sent in a CD to be printed.
Most are just burning CDs to listen to or to hand out.
Sending in a CD to be *replicated* (stamped/printed) is not the same as burning/duplicating.

Let them do it for you...that way there is no issue they can put on you about CD quality or the quality of your file burning (error rates). :)

Thank you that IS VERY USEFUL.

This forum has saved me hours of grief and surely many many mistakes. I'm very used to releasing on the Internet (my label has 7 albums to date) but this is the first plastic one. I don't know if I'll do it again. Too much work for an antiquated media...

I've sent off an assortment of disks to be either duplicated or replicated for about twenty years, starting with Kodak disks which then used to cost about $AUS3.50 each.

I've not been too particular about what brand or type of disk I've used. I've not paid it any attention, and just sent what I had at hand. I've not had one case of a disk failure, so either the CD gods have been smiling on me, or it is not a critical part of the process, or the process is robust enough to accept varying qualities of disks.

I was going to recommend this. ^

If you make the master and there is a mistake, they don't care; They duplicated what you gave them.
If they make the master and there is a mistake (outside of your instructions), they will run it again to correct it.

Back