Verbatim CD-R for burning a Master?

You can use the Verbatim no problem, However for production masters I use either Taiyo Yuden (own branded) or HHB. But the Verbatim would work fine.

Just a note, I send at least 2 copies of a master to production just in case one copy ends up with a fault.

Alan.

You can use the Verbatim no problem, However for production masters I use either Taiyo Yuden (own branded) or HHB. But the Verbatim would work fine.

Just a note, I send at least 2 copies of a master to production just in case one copy ends up with a fault.

Alan.

I think what the OP is saying is that if he sends a disc with a fault, the company will use it anyway, and blame him. The fact that they want to charge 80 Euros to make the 'master disc' - which they will then just rip the files from - tells me he should shop around.

I think what the OP is saying is that if he sends a disc with a fault, the company will use it anyway, and blame him. The fact that they want to charge 80 Euros to make the 'master disc' - which they will then just rip the files from - tells me he should shop around.

Any production house should error check the disc before manufacture, shop around for a better company.

Alan

I've not been too particular about what brand or type of disk I've used. I've not paid it any attention, and just sent what I had at hand. I've not had one case of a disk failure, so either the CD gods have been smiling on me, or it is not a critical part of the process, or the process is robust enough to accept varying qualities of disks.

Along the same lines, I've used several brands over the years including the famed Taiyo Yuden, and have not had any problems with any of the burned media I've tried then, or in the years since. Verbatim, Sony, etc... there aren't many factories making them anymore, so there's not much difference between the brands you'll buy in the store. Likely the same disc, different packaging.

I've done a fair amount of reading on the subject over the years, and a long while back started burning discs at the slowest rate they support (usually 16 or 24x for modern CD-Rs, 4 or 8x for DVD+/-R). I started doing this based on some solid (scientific-like) suggestions I read. This ensures the deepest possible 'burn' into the recording layer, making read errors on most playback devices much less likely. You also have to think that a deeper burned groove will resist the natural degradation that is supposed to occur, affording the burned disc a longer overall usable shelf life.

IMO you would be fine using a brand name blank cd-r at a slow speed. You can have basic error checking done by the burning software. The odds of there being a problem with the disc despite these precautions and software verification are very slim.

CD-R stock in general is one of many reasons we've (and by "we" I mean the industry as a whole) pretty much gone back to DDP for master delivery. Easier for the engineer, easier for the replicator, no worries about BLER, error checking, mishandling, clean data transfer, etc.

I'd agree with John - I almost always send a DDP file set rather than a CD-R nowadays. If your pressing plant say that they can't handle DDP I would wonder what they are actually doing?

If you are sending CD-R's then you absolutely have to have some way of checking them before sending them off. The built in error checking on an audio CD isn't quite as good as that on a data CD and not all drives report errors with audio CD's. You can buy hardware error checking machines but most mastering engineers would use Plextor's Plextools software which works with certain Plextor CD or DVD drives to give you C1/C2 errors as well as other information about the CD you've burned. Unfortunately the compatible drives are no longer produced but you may be able to find a used one.

Lastly, the Verbatim CD's in the picture are intended for home audio CD writers which need discs with special lead-in information recorded on them to make sure that you've paid the extra royalty to the record labels. Standard Verbatim data CD-R's will probably be OK although not as good as the real Taiyo Yuden discs. Verbatim also used to make high grade discs although I'm not sure if they are still available. Another possibility would be to order some HHB discs - they're usually good although I don't know where they currently source their discs.

Over the past ten years I have mastered probably 20 discs for music, spoken word and multimedia. Nobody has ever mentioned "Grade A" media. If this company cannot tell you what they mean find another company.

I record and burn masters...I use a variety of CD brands...

Do not buy any "cheap" CD...stay with the brand names...

Then burn them at a slower rate...most CD burners will burn at 36x...48x...etc...
My CD burners and the software I use to burn allow a slower burn rate...

I usually burn masters at 8x...

What bullshit. They shouldnt need a cd at all.

Ahh...I don't they *needed* a CD...I believe they even said files were fine if you read the whole thread. :)
I think the OP went in the CD direction...and that's when they said it had to be a specific grade.

I remember being told that music grade CD's were inferior to Data disks. Digital is a kind of all or nothing. If the program gets written to CD and there are no issues playing it back then the program is all there and is as good as the original file on hard disk. I have used just about every type of CD out there and the only differences I have encountered is the general failure rate is higher with some brands.

Lastly, the Verbatim CD's in the picture are intended for home audio CD writers which need discs with special lead-in information recorded on them to make sure that you've paid the extra royalty to the record labels. Standard Verbatim data CD-R's will probably be OK although not as good as the real Taiyo Yuden discs. Verbatim also used to make high grade discs although I'm not sure if they are still available. Another possibility would be to order some HHB discs - they're usually good although I don't know where they currently source their discs.

interesting, never knew they took it that far....

i havent even burnt a CD for 3yrs maybe? same with DVD buying....its all online and streaming and smart phone pictures.

I still burn a CD master even if it's going to download, call me old school. However I still remember when we did not have the means to burn a CD at all. We would send a U-matic video tape with the master to the production plant, these were replaced with DAT tapes. The only way I could give the client a finished mix was on a Cassette LOL.

I just think it's somehow nice to have a CD master disk.

Alan.

Marias, "Taio Yudin" (I think they were bought by JVC.) would be a better choice for off the shelf cdr. Amazon carry's them. Dust them off good , and use the slowest burn speed you can ..

Marias, "Taio Yudin" (I think they were bought by JVC.) would be a better choice for off the shelf cdr. Amazon carry's them. Dust them off good , and use the slowest burn speed you can ..

I'm afraid your info is a bit out of date Mark. The Taiyo Yuden name was sold to CMC (a big Taiwanese optical disc manufacturer who also make TDK discs) a while a go and the reports I've heard say that the quality isn't as good as it was.

They're not like they were. And never burn at the slowest speed you can. 25-35% of the drive's rated speed is usually the sweet spot.

Back