Using Adobe Audition mastering

BrianCRX90

Hello,
I'm currently working on another demo and used cs6 a couple years ago and at that time I did way too much eq's on wav files and compression on the mixdown and sounded very over compressed and wavy.

I was thinking to keep the recording mixdown simple by on the mastering having a flat eq then on my effects rack on the mixdown can choose an eq at that point. Some of the issues I am having is getting all the tracks below -3 db so I've been trying to get them low but is there anything wrong with keeping the master level lower if the mix sounds good?

Also, I'm very lost on using dynamics. Seems like I can't get a good rate without it sounded over compressed. I know the soft knee is popular however I think it sounds awful. I was thinking about just using a multiband and a single band compressor only and ditching the dynamics. Anything wrong with that? I have been tinkering with the mastering part of Adobe and pretty much have the down.

And last on the hard limit. I want the recording to be loud but even sounding and not overblown. Can I get some recommendations on this? My music is metal mostly fyi.

I discovered 2 years ago Adobe has a effect rack where I can do all this at the same time. I wish I knew about this before....if anything it takes away a lot of the work.

Back