TT dynamic range/ Loud reference master

davecg321

I recently compared the waveform of my masters to some pro stuff, along with a local analog studio. The WAV from my local studio was basically just a block containing virtually no dynamic range (at least visually) however when I ran it through the offline TT dynamic range meter it came up with a reading of 9. Perhaps there is a couple of seconds of a particular part that is really quiet and the meter has read that to be 9dr..? :wtf:

Not just looking at a given waveform view I hope.
For one thing you might never see that a 100 BPM song with a string of topped out snare hits that looked like 'a block' could reveal very dynamic mix.. without zooming in horizontally.

Everything in this window 15% off. -- Whoops -- I mean -15LUFS

Waveforms - although occasionally helpful visually, mean little.

Attachments

• All at -15 LUFS.jpg
    All at -15 LUFS.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 94
yeah the WAV i have looks like the 3rd one, and as I say is reading around 9dr... I shall check the lufs. Is there any technical way to read perceived loudness? apart from our ears of course ;0)

The meters should give you a decent idea -- But looking at the waveform won't.

The TT -- Been awhile, I'm quite sure I had it at one point -- I think it's reading RMS, don't remember if it was calibrated to AES17 or not, don't remember if you could tweak it to different references, etc.

As there's no real "standard" in music, finding a RMS meter that everyone agrees on can be rough. Calibrated loudness compliance metering is generally more useful. Nugen Audio's VisLM is possibly the ultimate, but the Youlean Loudness Meter (freeware) will get you there also.

Ya, I remember TT as RMS and kept it around for a day or two. Loudness metering hasn't made a big impact on Border Radio : ) The only thing I have is the K-Meter in Mixbus

Back