Too Much Low End In Mix - Effect On Mastering

hjeffh

Hello, I recorded a CD, and I think there was too much low end put into the mix by the engineer (who is otherwise fantastic). The mastering engineer is having to reduce the low end by something like 5 dB, or more, I'm guessing.

Maybe the mastering engineer can bring the low end into balance with the mid's and highs, but won't there still be coloration in the mid's and highs from too much low end in the original mix (e.g. from the bass guitar)? If so, how significant could this coloration be? Is it best to just go back and take low end out of the mixes?

Thank you!

Assuming there's no non-linear processing on the mix itself so that the bass is causing a mixbus compressor to pump or a clipper to distort, then it should be a pretty transparent process. Just shelf it down or whatever and go on with your day. It's actually usually easier to deal with a little too much low end energy than to make it up when there's none to begin with. Again, though, if it's slamming a compressor or tape or limiter, it will leave some artifacts which might not work after the excess energy is removed. That's not always unrecoverable, but it can make things a bit more difficult.

the problem with the mix being wrong in the bass is that you will loose headroom as it slams down the limiter, it's much better re-mixing it than trying to fight what's obviously wrong with the mix.

Back