Thoughts on EQ Plug-in on Master Bus

Shourn

I currently use Liquid Mix emulations of SSL Bus Compressor/Pultec EQ into iZotope Ozone for some more transparent EQing and Limiting. The Liquid Mix emulations have nothing like these in their EQ selection and I was wondering if it would be worth it?

Thoughts please

I don't understand your question. It sounds like you have emulations of the plugins that you want...are you looking for plugins to replace the ones that you currently use?

If we're just talking about mixing into an EQ, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. I used to mix into a pair of Pultecs (and later, the UAD Pultec emulation) all the time.

That said -- IMO/E, you should "know" and have that EQ inline more or less when you start. You're (hopefully) not using it as wholesale correction, but as a "flavor enhancement" that otherwise wouldn't be there. If you're throwing EQ's on late in the game because "the whole mix has too much low end" then go back and find out why.

IMO/E, YMMV, etc., etc., yada, yada.

If we're just talking about mixing into an EQ, there's nothing inherently wrong with that. I used to mix into a pair of Pultecs (and later, the UAD Pultec emulation) all the time.

That said -- IMO/E, you should "know" and have that EQ inline more or less when you start. You're (hopefully) not using it as wholesale correction, but as a "flavor enhancement" that otherwise wouldn't be there. If you're throwing EQ's on late in the game because "the whole mix has too much low end" then go back and find out why.

IMO/E, YMMV, etc., etc., yada, yada.

^^This^^

Personally, I try to use as little EQ as possible. Get the sound you want at the source, before the mic, etc. Makes life a whole lot easier come mix time.

:thumbs up:

Back