Subpar classical recording, clean-up attempt, hows it sound?

sbendy

I recorded this for a someone who was filming the event. My first live classical recording job.
I was told not to worry about back ground noise from tangible sources (cars, footsteps, etc.) but needed to remove general noise from it.

It was a circular concrete room and I didn't set the input gain high enough. I have boosted the gain to what I think is an appropriate level (highest point is -2.24), put it through 5 or so noise reducers (reducing by 2 to 6 dB each) taken from a various quiet points and added two very slight noise gates (reducing by 1 or 2 dB) with staggered thresholds and hold and release times.

I have split the song into four parts with a very brief silence inbetween, so as to present a reasonably comprehensive view of the various parts (including the bit where somebody does some drilling upstairs).

Attachments

• Output 1-2 for hr.mp3
    4.6 MB · Views: 18
Not quite sure where to start. In terms of salvage, I doubt much can be done, apart from re-recording, which probably isn't possible. So you are stuck with editing. What software are you proficient with? You can reduce the level of the noises in the clear, or perhaps even copy and paste some room sound into the gaps. You can identify the noises, and if your software allows, remove them by sharp frequency notching. All these repairs leave artefacts, so you need to experiment. Your spot noises, like the thumps and bumps are easier to remove than overall noise - because there really isn't very much noise. Your problems are balance and blend, plus rotten room acoustics, and I suspect major flaws in your mic choice, placement and technique. We can perhaps help for your next one, but I doubt very much will help here. The low strings, on their own could be tweaked, but then others cover them up and the voices start - tuning is even a problem with the strings, and that isn't fixable in a stereo mix. If you've already done some work on it - I wonder if it's worth tweaking further, the source material is just too problematic.

Is this the same session as your other post? https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mastering/classical-recital-can-i-salvage-384572/

Please say you haven't done another in the same place with similar faults - but you said this was your first recording, which was also mentioned in the other topic. It looks like the entire project is causing you grief? Or is this something else?

Last edited:
Not quite sure where to start. In terms of salvage, I doubt much can be done, apart from re-recording, which probably isn't possible. So you are stuck with editing. What software are you proficient with? You can reduce the level of the noises in the clear, or perhaps even copy and paste some room sound into the gaps. You can identify the noises, and if your software allows, remove them by sharp frequency notching. All these repairs leave artefacts, so you need to experiment. Your spot noises, like the thumps and bumps are easier to remove than overall noise - because there really isn't very much noise. Your problems are balance and blend, plus rotten room acoustics, and I suspect major flaws in your mic choice, placement and technique. We can perhaps help for your next one, but I doubt very much will help here. The low strings, on their own could be tweaked, but then others cover them up and the voices start - tuning is even a problem with the strings, and that isn't fixable in a stereo mix. If you've already done some work on it - I wonder if it's worth tweaking further, the source material is just too problematic.

Is this the same session as your other post? https://homerecording.com/bbs/general-discussions/mastering/classical-recital-can-i-salvage-384572/

Please say you haven't done another in the same place with similar faults - but you said this was your first recording, which was also mentioned in the other topic. It looks like the entire project is causing you grief? Or is this something else?

What I have access to software-wise is Logic Pro 9, their denoiser plugin wasn't very effective so because I was in a hurry (it's due on Wednesday), I used Audacity for noise removal and Logic for noise gate and hi-pass plugins, and Schwa's Spectro to alleviate the effects of a some of the louder bumps.

Yeah, I have a long way to go on mic placement (this one was especially difficult as the musicians were seated around the perimeter of one half of the room and performed their pieces from where they were). I think I would like to volunteer as somebody's assistant in order to get a better idea.

When you talk about the tuning of the strings, is that to do with acoustics? Or the actual tuning of the instrument? I hadn't thought of the former before, but it would make sense, is there a particular name for this so I can read up on it more?

It's the same session as in that post, yeah.

Back