Which standalone audio editor

Err? Can you not just install Pro X 3 and leave X1 as is?

Installing isn't the point or issue...using it is. :)

Also...I have no reason to keep both versions, so it would be dumb to install X3, but use X1 if X3 has some quirks.
I only run one DAW app on my studio computer. I have no reason to run other DAWs too...not sure why people really need to do that...?
Bouncing around between multiple DAW apps seems silly to me...especially when I have ProX, which pretty much does it all.

On this laptop I ha Sams SE8, Silver Cloud, Pro X Silver and then the latest Pro X 3.

I always wanted to ask...AFIK, you don't record stuff yourself...it was mostly with your son, but apparently not anymore.
So why do you have all these apps, and add more...and what do you do with them?

I record with a Zoom R24 or Zoom h5 then take the tracks into Logic Pro X for editing. I try to record as dry as possible. Slight reverb from Zoom R24. Then add the effects that I want through Logic. No muss, no fuss. Easy, fast, simple. Don’t have to worry about the DAW being configured properly, dropped signal, latency, etc...

Installing isn't the point or issue...using it is. :)

Also...I have no reason to keep both versions, so it would be dumb to install X3, but use X1 if X3 has some quirks.
I only run one DAW app on my studio computer. I have no reason to run other DAWs too...not sure why people really need to do that...?
Bouncing around between multiple DAW apps seems silly to me...especially when I have ProX, which pretty much does it all.

I always wanted to ask...AFIK, you don't record stuff yourself...it was mostly with your son, but apparently not anymore.
So why do you have all these apps, and add more...and what do you do with them?

Ah! Since I had never had a 'proper' version of Samplitude I thought perhaps Pro X 3 might be an upgrade that meant you could no longer use X1? Cubase is I think like this? If you buy the upgrade you can no longer run the older version. So, my thought was you might either not like X3 or, (as seems the case, a bit) there was a glitch in X3 and you did not want to risk it? If you can install both, side by side, why not?

As to my 'collection'? Historical. I was building a modest 'studio' for a very musical son some 15 years ago but my financial situation was such that the purchase of a full fat DAW was beyond me. I did get Cubase Elements 6 and son used that, mostly for keyboard/MIDI work. We also had a magazine freebie of Sam SE8 and he loved that for general recording, guitar amps, clarinet and vocals.

Then, he decided to go back to France to live. He had spend quite some time in Paris before doing music for a semi-professional singer. This time he fetched up in a coastal town called Etretat.

So, dad was left with some computers and a mics and such but nobody to record! I had intended perhaps to 'go mobile' and record some local talent as a hobby/service but health matters intervened (a LOT!) first with myself and then with my wife.

I still could not afford Sam ProX but then the Xmas offer burst upon us and THAT I could run to and had to have, if only to have it here when son visits (which he is doing in a week or so) .

As to multiple DAWs? There are way that SE8 works that ProX doesn't (meters e.g.) and anyway I am a lazy sod and just go with the flow! My DAW usage is now confined mostly to helping noobs here.

I was a modest player of bass 'in the day' but really have no musical talent at all but DO have an abiding love of 'good' music of almost any genre. My clinical deafness is a bother but you might notice I rarely if ever comment upon sound "quality"? I confine my limited talents to technical matters. Happy enough tho'but.

Dave.

Back