Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Snare Drum weak after Mastering

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Farview,
    This sounds interesting and I believe I might help me a lot.
    Do you mind to do some further explanations or quick tutorial on how it works?
    I'm appreciate so much!

Thanks
    Sometimes when you have a dead snare, that has no ring or decay, you will naturally place it too loud in the mix in order to hear what there is of it above the rest of the instruments. If you run that mix into a limiter, the limiter beats back the snare and brings up the rest of the instruments and the snare gets buried again.

You will have to experiment But just to illustrate how it works in an obvious manner, take a limiter and insert it on a snare track. The harder you limit it, the longer the snare 'speaks'. It might sound ridiculous by itself, but in a dense mix it will last long enough to be heard.

Now, do the same with a compressor at 4:1 with a fast attack and release. This should make the snare more powerful in the mix. If it doesn't, the snare is wrong for the song.

You can also get a lot of mileage by compressing the overheads to make the drums seem 'bigger'.
    Jay Walsh
    Farview Recording. I am also the forum spokesmodel for Terasyne Amplification

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Farview For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Farview View Post
    Sometimes when you have a dead snare, that has no ring or decay, you will naturally place it too loud in the mix in order to hear what there is of it above the rest of the instruments. If you run that mix into a limiter, the limiter beats back the snare and brings up the rest of the instruments and the snare gets buried again.

You will have to experiment But just to illustrate how it works in an obvious manner, take a limiter and insert it on a snare track. The harder you limit it, the longer the snare 'speaks'. It might sound ridiculous by itself, but in a dense mix it will last long enough to be heard.

Now, do the same with a compressor at 4:1 with a fast attack and release. This should make the snare more powerful in the mix. If it doesn't, the snare is wrong for the song.

You can also get a lot of mileage by compressing the overheads to make the drums seem 'bigger'.
    yep same as it always been. I had to thank you because my first teacher/mentor said that to me 30 years ago.

Thread Information