Snare Drum weak after Mastering

When a sound is over-limited, it gets quieter. Either master less hot or mix the snare so that it gets more of its power from the tonality rather than the dynamics. That way it won't be sticking as far out of the mix and it won't get hammered so much by the limiter.

Put another way.. this is what likely is happening.

Let's say you liked your mix. In this case perhaps with the snare's balance in the mix, nice and strong. Cool

But then you decided your average levels in the mix -from where 'loudness' is perceived- are not loud enough.
So you limited the peaks.
Well duh, you changed your mix. A real simple concept.. but not necessarily an intuitive one at first.

Somewhere in a balance of a] not slamming the limiting so hard- and thus messing your mix, and b] recording and mixing to compensate for Thine Limiting Thou Thinks He Must Have are our answers.
Fact of the matter is going for loud' means -in many cases by definition, some sounds/vibes'/styles you can not have.

First question I would ask is 'who' is doing the mastering?

In my personal experience, I self master my projects to a degree so that I have an idea of what will happen when I take it to someone else to do it right. That usually means a light compression and Fabfilter Pro-L limiter at the master out.

Then I take it off before sending to my mastering guy. Well, unless it is already perfect...That way I know what to expect and how processing will affect each mix. But it is different with every project.

The projects that I master myself are treated the same. I import the mixes to a new project and add what is needed for each.

The bottom line is how multiple songs work together. That is the main goal of mastering for most of my projects. The flow... And the addition of ISRC codes, spacing between songs, DDP files, etc...

When a sound is over-limited, it gets quieter. Either master less hot or mix the snare so that it gets more of its power from the tonality rather than the dynamics. That way it won't be sticking as far out of the mix and it won't get hammered so much by the limiter.

Appreciate your reply!
Does it mean, I was over compressed certain frequency range (especially snare drum frequency range) on Multiband Compressor?

Or, I perhaps my Pre-Master (mix output) too low as you mean (or I get it wrong?)

Or, I shall bring up Snare Tone (dynamic or frequency like around 250hz) during the mix (actually the balance was superb during the mix) so, when comes to mastering stage, snare will be balanced? But this wouldn't feeling weird during mix?

Put another way.. this is what likely is happening.

Let's say you liked your mix. In this case perhaps with the snare's balance in the mix, nice and strong. Cool

But then you decided your average levels in the mix -from where 'loudness' is perceived- are not loud enough.
So you limited the peaks.
Well duh, you changed your mix. A real simple concept.. but not necessarily an intuitive one at first.

Somewhere in a balance of a] not slamming the limiting so hard- and thus messing your mix, and b] recording and mixing to compensate for Thine Limiting Thou Thinks He Must Have are our answers.
Fact of the matter is going for loud' means -in many cases by definition, some sounds/vibes'/styles you can not have.

So, it's all about over limit during my mastering stage (to get loudness, therefore I was over compressed the hot frequencies)?

So, it's all about over limit during my mastering stage (to get loudness, therefore I was over compressed the hot frequencies)?

It is over limiting at the mastering stage without having the snare controlled already in the mix that causes your issue.

And another thing to consider in the 'things that change your mix dept. The Multi-band compressor.
As opposed to normal [full band] leveling- now you're also throwing in tone / frequency re-balancing of the mix.
Here one could advise- :) Question why that tool?
Is it to 'fix, or improve a tone balance issue?
Or 'a convenient way to 'fill up [maximize] all freq spectrum?
:rolleyes:

Or, I shall bring up Snare Tone (dynamic or frequency like around 250hz) during the mix (actually the balance was superb during the mix) so, when comes to mastering stage, snare will be balanced? But this wouldn't feeling weird during mix?
I'm going to tread lightly here, as I don't have a lot of need with the music I do, nor the desire to be some expert at the damage control' pushing music into the bleeding edge game.
But you might want to try, after your mix is pretty well sorted out, apply a full band limiter- even if temporary, or on an alt version', and make your mix work- with the limiter.

It is over limiting at the mastering stage without having the snare controlled already in the mix that causes your issue.

I seemed saw something, but not totally get it. From the mix, I just like the balance, snare ringing solid and obviously punchy enough! I suppose, the mix nothing wrong. So, could you please point out the "snare controlled" issue?

That might be your whole problem right there... If the mixes need maul-the-band compression, find out why and fix that first.

And another thing to consider in the 'things that change your mix dept. The Multi-band compressor.
As opposed to normal [full band] leveling- now you're also throwing in tone / frequency re-balancing of the mix.
Here one could advise- :) Question why that tool?
Is it to 'fix, or improve a tone balance issue?
Or 'a convenient way to 'fill up [maximize] all freq spectrum?
:rolleyes:

Both Guru mentioned about the issue might caused by Multiband Compressor! I think that way too.

What I used for? 4 bands of frequency range compression. Still rolled of some Muddle Frequencies Range.

Question :
1) Will you Multiband Compress? Or Full Range Compress?
2) if Yes, how light or strong will you compress (Ratio)?

It's also possible you/someone just cut the main frequency where the snare lies in the EQ. Perhaps you removed 200-250hz from the master EQ; that could do it too. Otherwise, this MBC issue might be it.

Both Guru mentioned about the issue might caused by Multiband Compressor! I think that way too.

What I used for? 4 bands of frequency range compression. Still rolled of some Muddle Frequencies Range.

Question :
1) Will you Multiband Compress? Or Full Range Compress?
2) if Yes, how light or strong will you compress (Ratio)?
Not liking to presume too much someone's skill levels :) but if just starting out I'd say keep it simpler for now. Skip multi-band > also known as dynamic eq. Work your mix with regular compression, and/or limiting.
Sometimes a good mix doesn't need master compression > some of that's roll- though the final effect is a little different, can be/is done at the track level.
Master compression; Depending totally on what it intended to do.
Ratios; 1.5/1 (or less even!) to 2, 3/1 maybe.

Attack speed- Here you have tremendous impact in how it reacts - and changes transients, in the first 0-5 MS or so. -This is the area where much of the life and impact in a mix lives- >dead snare..? :)

Greater attack times allow the faster stuff to get through, and works more on general leveling and mix density.
On the mix bus I've gone out into the 40 -- 100MS range. Here the use is certainly not 'loudness'. It is tuning the attack and release for 'movement in the mix.
Last - enough already :>) How a compressor reacts to mixed content is as much to do with what you're sending it- as it's settings. So consider as part of the choice in settings; What's prominent that's driving the compressors, and their speed (quick transient? Not so quick?), VS the speed of the compressor.

It's also possible you/someone just cut the main frequency where the snare lies in the EQ. Perhaps you removed 200-250hz from the master EQ; that could do it too. Otherwise, this MBC issue might be it.

It seems to be! This means, roll off 300hz-400hz for muddle frequencies by EQ instead of using a MBC? Then keep MBC work as light 4 bands Compressor?

Not liking to presume too much someone's skill levels :) but if just starting out I'd say keep it simpler for now. Skip multi-band > also known as dynamic eq. Work your mix with regular compression, and/or limiting.
Sometimes a good mix doesn't need master compression > some of that's roll- though the final effect is a little different, can be/is done at the track level.
Master compression; Depending totally on what it intended to do.
Ratios; 1.5/1 (or less even!) to 2, 3/1 maybe.

Attack speed- Here you have tremendous impact in how it reacts - and changes transients, in the first 0-5 MS or so. -This is the area where much of the life and impact in a mix lives- >dead snare..? :)

Greater attack times allow the faster stuff to get through, and works more on general leveling and mix density.
On the mix bus I've gone out into the 40 -- 100MS range. Here the use is certainly not 'loudness'. It is tuning the attack and release for 'movement in the mix.
Last - enough already :>) How a compressor reacts to mixed content is as much to do with what you're sending it- as it's settings. So consider as part of the choice in settings; What's prominent that's driving the compressors, and their speed (quick transient? Not so quick?), VS the speed of the compressor.

Thank you for the best advices!
so, keep MBC compression setting as light as possible (especially on the Ratio tweak) ?

Will Adaptive Limiter causes that issue too?

It seems to be! This means, roll off 300hz-400hz for muddle frequencies by EQ instead of using a MBC? Then keep MBC work as light 4 bands Compressor?

I'm not sure what you're saying, sorry. I said if your snare is thick/heavy, and the master track was cut in the low mids, then that might be why your snare seems weaker now.

Back