SFX Levels for Video Games

Captain Whisky

Hey folks, I'm currently making some sound effects and music for a mobile/web browser video game. I have all kinds of things being created such as UI SFX (clicks etc), character noises, music, punches etc etc. Only thing I have no idea what levels I should be mastering them to and how to find out. I'm currently working on the monster vocals, screeches, roars etc. I was going to let them peak at around 0 with a limiter but I actually have no idea what to do to be honest? Was hoping somebody could give me some guidance in this area, all the best.

First off, I have no real experience in the video game industry, but two thoughts come to mind: 1) if you're creating sounds for a customer, ask them for a spec. 2) If they don't know, then I say compare to commercially released pop music. Sound bits and effects will probably have different transients and RMS values, but you can probably get it close just by using your ears.

I'm curious to hear what others suggest.

Completely agree with Chili but, in addition, I don't think I'd be going anywhere near zero or using a limiter unless the spec dictated that I should.

If they're expecting masters from you ask for a spec or, if they're not, just leave healthy sensible room as you would if you were providing recordings of an instrument for someone else to mix into a song.

I'm just "+1'ing" both posts above. Ask for a spec (it's probably -24dB(FS)RMS) and if in doubt, keep quality headroom at every possible stage.

I would assume in any case, even approaching -0dBFS is going to be far above where you want to be...

Simple determination -- Hook up a popular video game (assuming you have one) -- Check the levels. Average, peak, crest factor -- and go from there.

Thanks for the prompt reply guys. Alright so they are a new company finding their feet as they go so they don't actually know what levels the need/want. What they did say is to keep all of the levels consistent at the same level as it's easy for them to alter the levels in a program called unity. So for example keep all the clicks, beeps, heavy combat attacks, light medium combat attacks at the same level so they can alter them when implementing them into the game. They did say to perhaps send them over a bit louder than what I have been doing which has just been the default level of them in my DAW which has been anything from say maybe -10dB to -6dB. So what do you think a happy medium would be for me to keep my levels at for them? -5dB, -3dB? Something along those lines to leave a bit of head room?

If *they're* going to do the "mixing" portion (setting the levels as they see fit for the game) then pretty much any arbitrary number should be fine (as much as I disagree with the premise). Unless they're talking about *apparent* level, in which case, there you go and peak is meaningless again -- i.e., a tom peaking at -3dBFS might be fine, while a tambourine, triangle or chimes would probably be closer to -20dBFS...

Sorry - Instruments and all. But you see where I'm going.

If *they're* going to do the "mixing" portion (setting the levels as they see fit for the game) then pretty much any arbitrary number should be fine (as much as I disagree with the premise). Unless they're talking about *apparent* level, in which case, there you go and peak is meaningless again -- i.e., a tom peaking at -3dBFS might be fine, while a tambourine, triangle or chimes would probably be closer to -20dBFS...

Sorry - Instruments and all. But you see where I'm going.

Can I ask why you don't agree with altering the sounds later after they have been supplied at one level? Surely that's a good idea don't you think? Not sure I follow, what do you mean by apparent level exactly? I'm still quite new to the mastering side of things.

I mean I disagree with everything being at the same peak value.

Apparent level is simply the level "around this much" where it should be in comparison to everything else. Explosions *should* be louder. Computer noises in the background *should* be quiet. It would be silly to add 50dB to a noise bed just to make it peak at -5dBFS only to be brought down 50dB again to be the noise bed.

I mean I disagree with everything being at the same peak value.

Apparent level is simply the level "around this much" where it should be in comparison to everything else. Explosions *should* be louder. Computer noises in the background *should* be quiet. It would be silly to add 50dB to a noise bed just to make it peak at -5dBFS only to be brought down 50dB again to be the noise bed.

I know what you mean but if they have individual control of the sounds then they can alter them to what they want to be in the game otherwise I'm not sure what else do. It starts to get complicated, what level would I supply the doors opening/closing, what level would wind be sent at, what level would I make the punches for them, what level would the spell sounds be etc etc. Know what I mean?

I haven't made SFX for games, but I've extracted a bunch of them. They tend to be mixed with plenty of headroom - multiple SFX will tend to be played at once, so you want to avoid the unpredictible clips there. They also tend to be mixed pretty close to how loud they would be perceived in the game. (i.e. background noises are going to generally stay really quiet, while explosions will get pretty close to peak)

Back