Sending tracks for mastering

malgovert

Hello

I want to send a few mixes off to have them mastered (first time), and one thing I notice is that all the MEs say not to convert the sample rate or bit depth from those at which the songs were recorded, and that they prefer interleaved stereo files. When I go to export from SONAR, it reads 'Stereo/44.1/32 bit' in the Export dialog box. However, my recording bit depth is set at 16, my audio driver at 24, and my render at 32. So I have the following questions:

What should the settings read in the Export dialog box when I export the final mix to send to the ME?
What is interleaved?
And finally, on another note, does it really make any difference whether I send them to USA or UK (I'm in the Middle East)?

Appreciate any help with this. Thanks a lot!

Interleaved is simply L and R in the same file (as opposed to a L file and a R file).

No matter what word length you're recording in (although almost universally, most would argue you should be recording in 24-bit), chances are incredibly high that the DAW is calculating in at least 32-bit. That said, a 24-bit word so exceeds the potential of human hearing that it's more or less the "universal" format (and 32-bit and other floating-point formats can be problematic from one DAW to the next for some odd reason).

Blah, blah, blah --- 24-bit, stereo, in whatever sample rate you've been working in. A multiple of that rate -- 88.2 for a 44.1k recording for example -- generally isn't a bad thing either. There are certain plugs that "prefer" working in higher rates (many already upsample no matter the sample rate). Some argue for it, some against it, try it both ways if you like, etc.

USA or UK... I'm a little biased there, so I'll pass. :D

Massive Master - thanks for the response. So is it OK/better for me to change the default 32 bit depth in the Export dialog box to 24 when exporting - it won't degrade the file at all? Thanks.

Massive Master - thanks for the response. So is it OK/better for me to change the default 32 bit depth in the Export dialog box to 24 when exporting - it won't degrade the file at all? Thanks.
You'll be fine. And no particular need for dither if it offers.

^ What those guys said :)

If you leave everything at the same sample rate and bit depth as you recorded it keeps ME's happy :) also, leaving headroom is good - some people bang on about 6dB or whatever, but as long as it's not hitting the roof you'll be fine :)

some people bang on about 6dB or whatever, but as long as it's not hitting the roof you'll be fine
True story. SOME "natural" (non-limited or excessively compressed for the sake of volume) headroom. Personally, I couldn't give a rat's rear-end whether it's a dB, 3, 6, 10, or 20dB. SOME natural headroom.

I would only ever send a 32 bit floating point, 96khz file to a mastering engineer, 24/96 for recording and 32FL/96 for the final mixdown.

Back