RMS Leven for Folk recordings

davecg321

I'm roughly hitting around -15 rms on the louder/chorusey parts of my songs when pushing the limiter. If I go any further with the limiter I get major gain reduction on the more prominent parts of the mix (the vocal or lead instrument)

The GR lasts less then a second so by no means is the mix being squished all the time.

Is this OK? I can't hear anyou distortion and I'm not getting any intersample peaks (I can always remove these with overssmoking as I'm using fabfilter pro L)

Any thoughts

Cheers

I think Folk is all over the place. Maybe post a clip of the problem area ? Or, define the tracks.

To me it sounds like you mix has a lot of dynamics (soft/loud passages). Unless you bring the levels of those sections more in line with each other using track (and section) level volume adjustments or compression, then you will run into these types of problems. I'm not suggesting making the softer parts as 'loud' as the louder parts, just bring their presence up more so the difference between isn't as extreme.

I'd also like to hear a sample to make more specific suggestions.

Well, Folk can be inside the Yurt, or, outside the Yurt. I don't even know what country ?

Controlling dynamic range should start in the mixing stage if you're going for loudness. If you are the mixer ... just go back and compress the tracks that are spiking your meter then do another pass or two gently compressing your 2 buss. The Pro-L should not be expected to do all of the work by itself.

Back